1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giuliano Maoggi

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Topolino, Oct 16, 2020.

1. After spending most of the morning hunting online for a decent resolution example of this famous image (which Ducati have "doctored" to remove the non-PC offending cigarette), I've photoshopped the essential fag back into the image and added a splash of colour. This should be winging its way to me shortly in the form of a large canvas print, which is destined for the new garage. I've tweaked the image considerably to enhance it somewhat. Think it's come out OK.

Maoggi Large.jpg

• Like Like x 14
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Great pic! Tell me more about who and where?

3. You should have given him a Churchill cigar to ram the point home,interfering busybodies.:punch:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Its taken from the 1956 MotoGiro D'Italia race where Giuliano Maoggi won on a Ducati 125 Sport , dubbed "Marianna" and producing a heady 9bhp. Ducati have used this picture extensively over the years to symbolize their racing history but the offending fag was removed from the image as it was not inline with current attitudes towards smoking. Personally I feel you can't judge an image that's 64 years old against modern values and removing it detracts from its charm, at least that's my halfpennys worth.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks for that, he looks like a real character, and your splashes of red on the pic add interest. The cigarette was de rigueur back then and for a longtime after -ask Barry Sheene or David Bowie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. upload_2020-10-17_21-25-14.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. upload_2020-10-17_21-26-59.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  8. Have you photoshopped Robbie Williams in his place too
    upload_2020-10-18_8-27-14.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. According to legend/anecdote, Barry Sheene even had a hole drilled in the chin bar of his helmet so he could have a last fag on the grid before races.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I've read that too. I also read that he would get his team mates to qualify for him on occasion when he was otherwise engaged...

Back when we were kids on sports mopeds, one of my mates drilled a hole in his helmet so he could smoke & ride. Made a right mess, plus the burning butts & plastic stank!

11. I just read this on Steve Parrish's wikipedia page:
    • He once posed as Barry Sheene in a qualifying session when the two were team-mates, as Sheene had turned up to the session with a hangover. Parrish put on Sheene's helmet/overalls and qualified on his behalf, then put his own clothing back on and qualified further down the grid as himself.
    Also.
      • He is permanently banned from the Chinese administrative region of Macau after blowing a brothel up with a home-made bomb made out of firecrackers, when several of his fellow riders were being 'serviced' inside.
      • Parrish owns an ambulance and has been seen using the ambulance to park on double yellow lines with the doors open in visits to his local bank.
    :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Parrish's book isn't a bad read if they've got it in the local library @Zhed46

13. I was at Donnington to many years back to remember exactly and some twat in a Merc SL I think it was with reg number PEN15 ran me over in the car park turned out it was Parish when I'd finished swearing at him and he'd stopped laughing at me, he gave me a VIP pass then got me pissed that evening he's still a twat but been mates ever since

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. upload_2021-2-21_9-59-13.jpeg

Nice little piccie

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information