1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Warming Or Climate Change?

Discussion in 'Speakers Corner' started by Lightning_650, Sep 28, 2016.

1. So why is it always climate alarmists who say "the science is settled?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Exactly. You can’t prove a negative. Also any scientific theory is only ever incomplete, contingent and merely the best explanation at that time within its area of applicability.

For my money, anthropogenic climate change edges it so until a better theory comes along, I think it is best to play it safe by reducing emissions.

Re: “knowing everything about the universe etc” - From what I’ve been reading current thinking is that reality is an illusion and “things” such as matter, gravity, consciousness etc are simply emergent phenomena. Basically, there is nothing “fundamental” at the very smallest of scales, not even particles and everything is just fluctuations in quantum fields.

#1742 Zhed46, Jan 14, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:53 PM
  3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Severn cullis suzuki who at 12 spoke to the united nations earth summit conference in rio in 1992

Severn is now 40. In 2002 she graduated from yale and spent two years travelling the globe. After gaining employment in the U.N. for a short while she went back to uni for another degree. She now spends most of her time flying all around the world, telling people they need to stop flying all around the world

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stalker :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. It’s your lot that are the deniers :p very childish :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. So? :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. You too :D

9. Security for the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow this year could cost "several hundred million pounds".

30,000 delegates expected to attend...I doubt the Clyde has enough yacht berths.

10. If it was held in birmingham the security costs would be £8.70. Glasgow is a well dodgy place :D

11. It’s clear you don’t understand the framework within which science conducts itself. Until you do there is no point answering questions like this

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Where is that post of the predicted climate catastrophic events that never happened?

No one will listen, it's a Cult, like the dude with the sandwich board saying the world is going to end.

13. @Exige no point in quoting my posts, you are on my block list for being a tit

14. Largs alone has 700 Berths which could be 5000 people

15. I like Largs...it's a ways from Glesgae though, and I don't think there's enough charging ports in between for all the Teslae that will be needed.

They could visit the nuclear power station while they're there to see how it's done.

#1755 Dox, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:52 PM
  16. Tit’s don’t usually block me :thinkingface:

oh, and grow up :):upyeah:

oh, and thanks for listening :blush:

17. Precisely.

Dawkins, of all people, would not state that "God does not exist" because as a scientist he could not prove that God does not exist despite the overwhelming evidence for evolution of life on earth without need for a heavenly being.

I am not a scientist. So in matters scientific that I may take an interest in I am guided by reputable bodies whether the subject matter be astrophysics, DNA, plate tectonics, protozoology or, as it was known for a very long time, climatology.

I don't give a rat's arse what Dr this or Prof that published.

So when a body such as NASA states unequivocally that anthropogenic climate change is occurring, I take notice. And I have a good humoured laugh at how history repeats with some of the witty flat earthers on this thread. :):upyeah:

18. I'm glad you respect nasa's finding and respect their words

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 11,700 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

over the last 650,000 years there have been SEVEN cycles of glacial advance and retreat...you mean freezing and warming, happened 7 times and BEFORE humans arrived ?????

Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives......, you mean how much sunshine we get causes most of the freeze and melt situations and climate change????????

wtf!!!!! what heretic flat earthers climate deniers would have said that ???????

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

yep, nasa, under the "facts" then "evidence" heading

#1758 noobie, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 6:06 PM
  19. Oh, you appear to be the flat Earther here o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Indeed I do, but you didn't think you were going to get away with that silly bit of selective quoting did you?

The same piece goes on, inconveniently for you:

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

Global Temperature Rise

The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 5

Warming Oceans

The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of more than 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.6

Shrinking Ice Sheets

The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost an average of 286 billion tons of ice per year between 1993 and 2016, while Antarctica lost about 127 billion tons of ice per year during the same time period. The rate of Antarctica ice mass loss has tripled in the last decade.7

Glacial Retreat

Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.8

Decreased Snow Cover

Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier.9

Sea Level Rise

Global sea level rose about 8 inches in the last century. The rate in the last two decades, however, is nearly double that of the last century and is accelerating slightly every year.10

Declining Arctic Sea Ice

Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.11

Extreme Events

The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.12

Ocean Acidification

Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.13,14 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.15,16

Images and footnotes omitted. Don't agree with it? Take it up with NASA.

@noobie ... real noob mistake.

#1760 Brouny851, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1

Do Not Sell My Personal Information