1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glue Suitable For Carbon Fiber

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by tricolore, Dec 5, 2021.

1. I’m trying to fix some broken carbon and need to stick a threaded washer to the inside of the carbon. Anyone suggest a strong glue, I was thinking Araldite ?

2. @Sev is your man for these applications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have no idea, buy they use this it on high end bicycles.

4. This is not a glue or resin, It does a different job.
    Epoxy resin is often used for laminating CF so araldite will be fine. Roughen both surfaces and use the slow set stuff for the strongest result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That’s used to increase friction between a seatpost and a bike frame also to stop the seatpost being welded to the bike frame over time.

6. JB Weld.

7. It’s a piece of Carbon made by Ilmberger. The metal part has come away from the inside, looks like it was attached by the carbon weave. Now just rotates and come lose.

601B35E7-1476-4C42-B1DB-CD18446223DA.jpeg

8. It’s not a top hat.

at the moment it just rotates, guess I could pull out but was thinking of securing with glue. Probably could remove and replace with a locking nut but difficult to hold in position.

9. Perhaps change it for one of these aircraft fasteners.
    2021_12_05_12.05.23.jpg 2021_12_05_12.06.17.jpg
    They come in all sorts of sizes. You fix them with rivets. Ideally solid aluminium rivets but pop rivets work too. You can have them floating or fixed, rivet either side, 2 on one side and they even do corner versions. Thread is self locking.
    Look for aircraft anchor nuts or floating anchor nuts and you will find something.

10. If the attachment is out of view, why not try a zip tie? Great bodge and cheap as chips.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information