1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 SP Good Buy Or Goodbye? Warming, But Still Not Sure

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by desmoaddict, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Well, today was my first run out with the big Termignoni system fitted. My reflections on this, and continued use for anyone who's interested.

Termignoni Aesthetics
    Even though I disliked the stock can intensely (see my previous post), I did like the line the pipe took: it looked almost helical alongside the downpipe. The big Termi system is more of a continuation of the line, and while it's great that it doesn't get in the way of your foot like the stocker, I'm not so sure I like the line of the pipe: especially when viewed from the front / side of the bike. When viewed in the same image as the bars, mirrors and brush-guards, it looks more "flamboyant" than "bad ass", in my opinion.

I'm also not so keen on the square-section can, and absolutely hate the fact it has "Titanium" on the side of it. WTF? That's the type of thing Japanese bikes used to have on the side in the 70s and 80s. Ducati used to make things out of Carbon Fibre and Titanium because it was light and looked trick. What's the point of this gratuitous labelling? To "impress" some punter in the street? Come on.

Termignoni Performance
    In my opinion, the system transforms the responsiveness of the bike and makes it way more eager to push on - especially in the midrange. As I'm still running-in, I haven't been able to cane it (much) yet, but the little forays I've had into the higher rev range certainly seem pretty promising.

Of course, much of this will be rider perception from the loud, deep exhaust bark. It sounds like a big carbureted single when the taps are opened in the midrange, which is just great.

It really makes me think though, about how the world will be on electric motorcycles. Sure, I know they'll be better, faster, lighter, etc. (you only have to drive a Tesla Model S to see that), but the aural assault from a petrol bike is a huge part of the riding experience, and a deep-down feeling that you might just be taming some kind of wild animal as you cane it along the tarmac.

Riding update
    Anyone who read my earlier post will see that I wasn't over-enamoured with the 939 SP, following my nine years of 1100s ownership.

I've relented on that to some degree, but there are still niggles.

First of all, I've just accepted that the 939 SP is absolutely nothing like its progenitor. It's a loud, lairy, trailie that needs much larger control inputs to get it moving and turning at decent speed. Whereas the 1100s felt sharp and wild from tickover, the 939 SP is lofty, bouncy and requires high rpm. Do this and it's way faster than its predecessor; ride it in the mid-range and it just wouldn't compete.

To go properly fast, it needs to be muscled into corners: you need to accept you're just going to have to ride the see-saw as those long-travel forks dive on hard braking, and then you need to be hard on the throttle to push it out again as the words "Margery Daw" go through your head. Not an unpleasant experience, but very, very different.

At high speed, on undulating roads, its predecessor felt wild and harsh, needing constant control inputs to keep it in line, but responding to these instantly. The 939 SP on the other hand, starts to "float" and feel a little vague and disconnected from the tarmac. I'm still not totally convinced I like that feeling.

Downsides
    On the downside, I still think this bike is WAY too heavy for a motard. Sure the Termi will have shed lots of kgs, but I just fundamentally have a problem with a bike that is supposed to be naked and minimalistic being so lardy. In 25+ years of riding anything and everything under the sun, the combination of the excessive weight and high placement makes me feel as nervous as I was the first time I moved a bike around at a standstill - especially when the ground is uneven. Being 6'1" and 90kg, that's really unnerving.

I really, really hate that ride-by-wire throttle. I mean, if you're going to emulate an analogue device with a digital one, then surely you'd want to base it on the best possible feeling of the analogue device, wouldn't you? This thing just feels like a stretched throttle cable. I could enter into analogies of sex dolls and 1980s jokes about Joan Collins, but will stop just short of that.

Finally, I know I'm going to sound like I want to live in the past (and I really do not), but I'm also a little concerned about what Traction Control does for ongoing riding ability. This is the first bike I've had with it and while I'm blown away by how fast you can exit a corner, I'm left wondering who did it - me or Mr Bosch. I know that view will divide opinion, but hey - isn't that what these forums are for?

So in sum-up: Hypermotard 939 SP - good buy or goodbye? Still not sure, but maybe I'm now not so eager to sell the 1100s.

#1 desmoaddict, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Interesting. In depth. Do you like it or not?

3. Warming.

4. Get off the fence, man! You bought one, do you like it or not?

• Like Like x 1
  5. From your write up I'd say you will always have those doubts when you ride it while you are adding miles and losing money......

I had a 2011 CBR600RR before my Hyper 1100, good price, only had 1800 mile on it and I added about 1000 in just over a month, but it was so boring....It was like riding the bus, you got on trundled along with no excitement or involvement then got off the other end.....

I spent more time thinking about it when riding than just riding, so it went....I lost a big chuck of money when trading for my Hyper but would I get rid of a bike I think isnt right for me again......Yes definitely

If you are too busy analysing while riding then you lose all enjoyment.....

And it sounds like you are.....

#5 Jody, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nice honest reflections - based on what you've said I'm glad I have stuck with my Hyper 1100.

7. I cant speak for anyone else but when its the right bike I don`t spend time wondering whether to keep it or not and the flaws are just amusing character traits. You`d know if it was right because you wouldnt be considering selling it.
    I appreciate that the OP is not asking for opinions on what to do next but I feel a sale coming on.

#7 dukesox, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. I'd keep it just because it looks so much nicer than the 1100.

9. It's a keeper. I went out and did another 150mi today.

It's like going for a Chinese and being served a Thai meal: not unpleasant; just not what you thought you'd bought.

L

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. At last :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Heh - well, weve all done it - as ive said many a time before it took 3 hyper's for me to know that its the one...(if anything it gave me the financial scope to work my way up to an evo sp) Same with my z1ooo - had a gen1 which I loved, test rode an s1000r - sat on the gen4 I have now and thought...no point in going for anything else so got another one. And my third bike (RSV4factory) well, theres no point in changing that as what would I get...probably a latest model but I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the extra 5k or so id have to spent to get it...

Maybe if it weighed what it weighed but had a 1200 lump in it...then we'd be talking. I'm really glad you've given an unbiased review and the way you feel about it - makes a refreshing brilliant change to reviewers who paint (it - insert any bike here) to be the best thing ever and (you need one of these [Insert bike here])

Case in point right now is the MT-10 - reviewers and journo's are getting flown half way around the world to review it....theyre not going to rubbish it otherwise they'll never be invited to another one so they've got to be as gentle as possible. I always remember watching a YT vid of Al Fagan describing the Panigale 1199 to the 1299 as a "scaffold bar with wheels"

I saw one last week at Weston Bike Night in the flesh and thought, ugly, cheap build quality...the ugly bit is my own personal preference mind you. But, at the moment its this month's darling boy...

My own personal opinion of the 821/939 is looks absolutely brilliant (and id say yeah, I think it looks marginally better than mine) but not enough to loose the absolute masses of Ducati character mine has. But, they fell over in the engine department monumentally...

12. I've always gone with my spontaneous heart with bikes in the short time I've been riding and had a bunch of bikes that turned out to be bad decisions but fun experiences that cost a lot of money in depreciation in the short time I owned them. The S1000RR has been the opposite, the first few months I kept thinking about alternatives as it never quite hit the spot, until eventually I thought 'what's my dream bike?' and ordered my new 1199R. When push came to shove I decided to hang on to the BMW because it was the only bike I had that could pass noise limits at Brands and some other tracks plus it's super practical. After sexing it up a bit with levers, rearsets and an akro can I really like it now and can't see myself getting rid of it.....at least until the next shiny thing gets released :) The lesson for me is that it is actually possible to fall in love slowly !

13. Well, that right there is the lad logic in action Mr Royal! - and the same for me - multiple bikes for different jobs....now you've got the 2 for the 2 different jobs its a much easier decision to keep the other...

14. Comfy - why do you call it a z1ooo and not a z1000? Always wondered. :smile:

15. Typographically it looks better.... I used to be a typesetter years ago... Ingrained...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

16. Haha. Excellent.

S1oooR doesn't look quite as good I suppose.

17. Ah, but s1oooR... That looks a bit better..!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

18. Ha i love my 821, SC project can made it a very aggressive ride which I love, kind off like old lumpy 900. 1100 is smooth in comparison carbed 900. Tc is debatable. However fly by wire I grown to love. Unless torrential ride I am in high mode. Never use low mode. Even on medium that I use on wet mode I see sluggishness. Just ride a lot in high mode and you will learn why it is great

19. There's nothing wrong with the engine... I just don't think it's suited to that bike... They changed the characteristics of the bike totally to the previous ones...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

20. That is 4v Vs 2v for you. For me new can brought it close but you right 2v lump suits it better

Do Not Sell My Personal Information