1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Pubs In York?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Nov 24, 2017.

1. I'm heading to York on Saturday (25th) for a works day out. :party:

As we have a few Yorkies on here, can any of you recommend some decent hostelries in the city?

Around the train station for a start would be helpful with decent ale :beer:, atmos and a bite to eat at some point :yum. As there are about 30 of us, I would imagine we'll break up, so some little known inns off the beaten track would be most welcome.

#1 Robarano, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Only been to York once on the beer. The thing i remember most is you have to go back to the 1980s way of getting into pubs . i.e split up and pretend you are not in a group.
    We went out for a lunchtime session and were getting refused entry as soon as we got off the train because we were a "group of skinheads." The fact we are a group of 50+ year old baldies who no longer need to attend a barbers shop to get the look was a bit of a downer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Your ban has ended already :eek:

4. Don't forget your flat cap and a racing pigeon !! I believe that's the norm t'up these parts....Here's a nice modern York boozer to frequent :upyeah: (Picture taken yesterday I believe)

Duke of York Duke St.jpg

5. That's a Lancashire pub :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Same thing right ?? :p

7. Yes I guess so frenchy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Yep, that's the kind of place @Wayne58 I'll give it a try. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. They begged me to come back, to add a bit of much needed culture to the place. :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
  10. No I didn't :):punch:

11. Yes you did, you just told me not to tell anyone. ;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. If you have some ladies with you that like a cocktail ( or indeed butch men), then 'the evil eye' is a good choice. Amazing choice of drinks. Looks like olde worlde shop from front, until you walk through to bar.
    Next door is 'house of trembling madness', for good selection of beers and ales.

#12 Itsamonster, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. A geezer called Ian set up the Evil Eye above his clothes shop and it used to be the upper 2 floors - opened up to regulars after midnight on New Years Eve after closing the doors with free spliffs and stuff on the tables, girls running around in underwear all night. It's not as good now - aimed at students and no real ales.
    After getting done for being 2 x over capacity he quickly sold up while the books looked good (made a fortune) - then opened the House of the Trembling Madness 3 doors down. This place is tiny and you will not fit in (never mind with your mates).

• Like Like x 1
  14. God knows what route I took, but -

The Judge's Lodging - Decent pub, but unless you like lager, not much of a choice. Someone close to us ordered fish and chips, which looked and smelled amazing :yum (Too soon after brekkie unfortunately) :weary_face:
    The Graduate - OK pub, although we did get pestered to buy Jaeger bombs. We may have succumbed. :confused:
    King's Head (on the river) - Decent ale, decent atmos
    The Sone Roses - S**thole, couldn't get served, left
    The Slug & Lettuce - Can't remember much by then, just the name :blush:

15. Why didn't you ask for some decent pubs, geeeze :rolleyes:

16. Tell me about it, I just followed the crowd. :blush:

17. Sheep :bucktooth:

18. I believe shep is the singular...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Shep is the leader silly :rolleyes:

20. Baaaaaaaaa :D

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 19.11.12.png

• Useful Useful x 1