1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A Cu80 Penalty? Then Go Away Sir!

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Sev, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Trying to insure the bikes on a multibike policy.

That CU80 penalty I picked up for moblie use driving was harsh enough at 6 points and 200 quid, but crying out loud, I've had insurers both for the car and bikes flatly refusing to ensure based on that one particular code. Footman James being the most recent.

I think i'd have an easier time if I just told them I got banged up for murder and kiddy fiddling. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Thinking that as it’s claimed that using a mobile whilst driving has the same effect as driving under the influence it should come as no surprise. I guess actuaries from their data confirm this hence your difficulty getting cover. I’m being fatuous here but how did you use your mobi on your motorcycle

The murder claim and kiddy fiddling wouldn’t have an effect on your insurance cost so seems a little over the top.

However good luck with your quest

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hmm seems an oddity this, I can see your point better now.

I understand the law on mobile use the in’s and out’s there of, the laws the law I’m afraid.

Seems odd that you can insure a car where it’s easy to use a mobile but on a motorcycle where it difficult to say the least....

Many moons ago I was prosecuted for a number plate offence which upped my premiums more than a speeding offence, utterly bewildering.

on your license for 4 years but you’ll have disclose for 5 years so it could stretch to 6 years depending when your renewals fall too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. the CU 80 offence is the specific offence created for using the mobile phone whilst driving,6 points and 200 quid, rather than the use previously of 'not in proper control'.

Were you stopped at the time?
    Did you admit the offence?
    if not how were you identified?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. That's a bollox. Not much more to be said.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. How strange.
    You claim that the insurance company upped your premiums for a "construction and use offence" which carries no points or endorsement of your license.
    How did they know, it's not even recorded at DVLA?

#6 AirCon, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
  7. @Sev , i like you from what i know of you on here but i have no sympathy at all in this case... ban for using a phone while driving and a life time ban for texting is where im at. only these measures will dissuade folk from doing what they know is dangerous as fuck...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. My brother lost his leg (and nearly his life), partially due to a young lady using her phone (texting or similar) and not paying full attention to the road ahead and her left indicator (she was going straight on). For those that know the area, just outside Cliveden House by the Feathers.

#8 AirCon, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. just for the record. i didn find the accident funny, just yer sanctomnius pish

• Like Like x 2
    • Crap Crap x 1
  10. I admire you for divulging on here Sev when I think of how many people would have got handed down and then never mention to anyone (for reasons displayed on this thread).
    No-one is perfect and if all people currently innocent of this go on to claim throughout their entire driving record, that they have never picked up a mobile phone while driving a car then I think 99% would be lying.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. @finm you are a very strange animal.
    I've literally no idea why you would find my post funny.

12. In that case, you put the emoji on the wrong post or just don't understand the meaning of the word you were trying to spell.

13. That was my understanding :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  14. yer man has told the story. move on.

15. Not wishing to speak on @Sev behalf but I’ve not picked up on the fact that he’s looking for sympathy, just commenting on the absurdity of not being able to get his bikes insured for using a phone in his car. Seems a reasonable point to try & make to me?

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It was a brave post. People were going to react to it. Inevitable.

It'll be interesting to see if other people have any insight other than the obvious one - don't use your phone when driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I think six points is too lenient. Instant one year ban, tough shit if it has an impact. Don’t fucking do it. No sympathy from me, it’s up there with drink driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thats the aim, to make it as unacceptable as DD.
    They've been upping the points limit and also the fines every year and I can see it becoming a bannable offence.

And no, I'm not looking for sympathy - i did what I did and hold my hands up to it so you lot can all fuck off if that's why you think I posted this up.

It's a warning to all that the effects are more far reaching than the penalty itself, and it's happened to me so caveat Motobirota.

Thank fuck I didn't fit a lithium battery in the car as well otherwise you would have got the torches and pitchforks out as well with Witchfinder general Aircon at the front. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. why did people have to react to it negativly? it had a, fair cop written all over it.
    if anything it could be seen as a wee reminder.

• Agree Agree x 11
  20. I agree with this and have been guilty in the past but I can honestly say I wouldn't do it now days since the dangers have become more apparent and the law changed to suit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information