1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A Tracker With A Giffgaff Sim ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chrisw, Jan 22, 2021.

1. GiffGaff have announced that they are increasing their Per Megabyte data charge from 5p to 10p. Just be aware if your tracker is data enabled that your Pay and Go balance will deplete faster than normal. A solution is to activate the auto-top up from your GiffGaff account.

#1 chrisw, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. Ouch! Doubling their data tariff costs! Useful to know as I was looking at a MoniMoto instead of paying for another year on my Biketrac but I decided to just stay with Biketrac

3. Still, on a tracker 1Mb is an awful lot of riding.

4. Three have increased their costs too

5. What is the reason they are giving for increasing costs so much? Or is this a way to capitalise on the confusion Brexit is causing?

6. Brexit? Must everything be todo with Brexit? More likely that there are no good competitors in this area. There is 1p mobile, but you have to top there by at least £10 every 3 months.

7. It’s as I suspected (as I work for a Telco) they are trying to rebalance the customer base to get them onto PAYM plans and get revenue and reduce churn (which is when a customer moves to another network). However the bigger issue is that trackers really fit more into an IOT type application, so they need coverage but they don’t need the data speeds of 4G, 5G and would operate fine on the type of service a smart meter uses. Bike trac will have the power to negotiate a specific tariff for their products but if you are buying your own SIM To put in a device you won’t get that.

also, be careful with your data sizes, I’d be bloody surprised if the tracker is using a Gigabyte (GB) of data a month, a Gigabit perhaps, or 100MB.

8. I found that my trackers used around 1Mb per 1000miles of riding. The data packets are really small.

9. Here’s my usage. The tracker is linked to to the Ruhavik server.
    694AFB84-0D89-431B-8053-BD03B7A488D0.jpeg

10. I wonder how giffgaff calculate it. If the 1Mb resets each day ... so if you use 200bytes a day you get charged a whole Mb?

11. Interesting, I don’t think that’s the raw data use though, it’s that they are rating anything over 0.1MB as a MB, which is a bit cheeky! Rather than your total overall use. Tbf I don’t know if they are the only operators that do this

12. Usually, the cost is per mb or part mb so if you use less than 1mb it is rounded up to the nearest whole mb. 0.7 becomes 1 and 6.2 becomes 7 for billing purposes. Cash back credit cards usually round the purchase price down so £6.99 becomes £6. Looks like an industry standard. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information