1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Myself An R6 Track Bike

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Monners, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Got myself this tasty R6 for racing and general hooligan stuff this season. I figured it would be more practical for a first race season and keep the 1199R for trackdays for now. It was built for Hutchy for the TT but not used due to him breaking his leg. Its super sport spec with all the shiny stuff and looked after by the same guy since it was bought from the first owner. He's just done it's seasonal engine refresh and it's going on the dyno today. We're out to Calafat in mid february with Pacedayz so I'll probably get my first run out on it out there.

fullsizeoutput_3e73.jpeg
    IMG_8942.JPG fullsizeoutput_3e6d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3e71.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Looks like a weapon mate

Nice purchase, keep us up dated with your racing exploits

3. Nice but I couldn't chop and change between my carbureted R6 and the 996 which is why I went to a 748sp based 853 and eventually the current 748RS based 853. Hope you enjoy :upyeah:. Andy

4. Thats a FI R6 tho..biggest issue will be 'wheres the power gone' closely followed by 'when do I stop revving?!' LOL Enjoy the 16k revs and first gear every hairpin :upyeah:

5. It's going to be odd swapping between the bikes but I've been considering a 600 size bike for a while. Perfect compliment I reckon. The plan at the moment is to do Thundersport GB and the Interservices military races which run together, but continue with the euro trips as I like the sun :)

6. Haha yeah I am a bit worried about that, it's a big change for me. Hopefully it will teach me a thing or two rather than drive me mad.

7. You do have decent corner speed, so this will only make it better :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. that looks bloody good fun!! im going to take my little er650 tt bike to mallory as soon as the weather picks up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brilliant, in with the axe murderers :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thats a good point actually. It really is like that too. Expect to have people run into you (especially at TGB which is now the feeder to National) and there won't be any quarter given :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm looking forward to a bit of hustling :)

12. Nice bike:wink:Have you been on the track on the r6 yet royalwithcream? If you have, how does it compare to your Panigale?

13. I will be keen to hear how you get on with the R6 Royal, as I have been considering the same move for myself for this year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not been out yet, first shake down will be Calafat in Spain with Pacedayz in a few weeks time :)

15. I didn't feel like posting these earlier due to Sams accident but here are some vids from Calafat on the R6. It's very much a test track; very technical with a lot of tight corners that are very tricky to get right.

It took a while getting used to the riding position, it's so cramped compared to the Panigale. I've used a Triumph 675 for a day at Almeria and took to it straight away as it's quite similar to the high seat on the Panigale but the R6 is very different. You're deeper in the bike, I'm actually tempted to look at lifting the seat a little. Also I've never rode with a GP shift pattern before so that also took a bit of getting used to.

The first day I was all over the place; couldn't get my balance right as my legs were killing me and kept messing up gear shifts because I physically got my foot stuck trying to move it to the shifter so was not positive enough. I was dropping into neutral all the time which was quite dodgy on occasions. I moved the rear sets back and the shifter down a bit and that helped a lot. I only got a few sessions in on each of the last few days as I hadn't got back from the hospital in Barcelona until 0330hrs plus was emotional and being wary to stay focused.
    All in all though I'm very happy with the bike and looking forward to Jerez next weekend. Calafat is a difficult track to compare the bikes. It doesn't feel like it can do anything that the Panigale can't do so far but that might be because I've not used the Panigale on the tight technical corners at Calafat. The R6 definitely has a tighter turning circle which will make it better suited to Calafat. The Panigale is a lot quicker to get on its side which makes up for the wider turning circle. The 899 and 959 Panigales were going well around the track but they are also a shorter wheelbase / swingarm than the big Panigales. In general I prefer to be on the Panigale but the R6 is definitely a proper angry weapon and I was having a lot of fun. The couple of sessions in the videos were probably up there with the best sessions I have had on track. Once I got comfortable I was able to to elbow drag all the way around the corners which was a lot of fun. There's definitely a lot more corner speed to come now I'm used to the bike.

Both vids are very similar times but one is from the second day and the other from the third. You can see how much smoother and easier the riding looks on the third day as I'm getting used to the bike.

#15 Monners, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.50.45.png Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.42.27.png Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.42.41.png I'm waiting to get the downloads of these photos.

• Like Like x 3
  17. By the way if anyone is looking for euro trip operators consider Pacedayz as they are truly awesome. They are more expensive than NoLimits and FE but it's well worth it. They have very small numbers on track and do not share with anyone else. This was very much a racer test day and there were only 46 people on the trip so running two 30min sessions per hour. Normally they run the normal three groups but for this one it was fast group and super ninja fast group. Most track days I'm at the top of fast group, for this one I was mid group in the lower one. The top group guys were BSB and super stock racers and all running about ten seconds quicker than me. The trips sell out fast as people tend to repeat book. We've booked up four of their trips this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. I could never reconcile riding a 996 by day and the last of the carburetted R6s on track. I see you have no issue revving the nuts off yours. Great video :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wasn't too bad for me because the Panigale is a rev monster anyhow, only real difference is the R6 has nothing down low if you get the wrong gear.

20. Going well as always Dave

I do love the scream of a 600 getting a pasting.

Will have to get on track with you boys someday, although you'll likely smoke me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information