1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got One, Eventually.

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by iang27, Oct 28, 2018.

1. 23DCD014-DCCE-4DD8-86EA-F0EBB51651EE.jpeg 2887C51F-1FCA-4C40-A34C-6E0F8EDB3BDE.jpeg AF18E698-F2B8-4A83-ACFC-C5EE94BD3860.jpeg A2BA2D4B-F81C-4657-AE47-253520AFCADB.jpeg 6D68A760-3DAA-4590-AF1E-1A6422B919DD.jpeg 4B29E55B-D199-4AC6-A2A3-D37DEBD5C326.jpeg BE5731E9-F681-4F03-91FB-CA212F184BD2.jpeg Well after looking for a more upright bike and buying a Daytona 675R only to find out what I already knew that I would struggle with a sports bike I sold it a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for a Supersport.

I was about to buy a lovely standard model with q/s, Seat cowl and Akra from a dealer but came across this S model for sale privately and ended up buying it for a similar price to the standard model dealer bike.

Got it delivered as it was 280 miles away and have spent all day cleaning it to my standards.

It looked lovely in the winter sun but the roads were wet so not been out yet.

Couple of things I noticed that others may be able to help with.

The bike is virtually impossible to get into neutral, it goes between 1-2 without stopping in between.

I took the seat off and it was a pig to get it to click back into the seat catch.

The clutch is like a switch, bites immediately, will just take some getting used to.

• Like Like x 9
  2. They all do that sir ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cool :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great mods, looks ace!

Neutral gets better after a while, and is definitely easier when the bike has warmed up a bit. Same with the clutch, absolute pain in the arse if it’s just started up on a cold day, but quickly smooths out once warmed up. Only thing I can say about the seat is find the sweet spot above the mechanism which you have to press to click it in easily.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Lovely bike! Hope it's a little more comfortable to ride!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looking good. :)

8. Mine is the same with neutral when cold, and the same with the clutch. I now have 17,000 kms on it. The next time that I change the oil I will go with 10/50 rather than 15/50 to see if the slihly thinner when cold oil makes any difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. As above for the clutch action and neutral issues. There is a *slight* improvement as miles increase, and definite improvement once warm, but clutch very grabby and neutral impossible when cold.
    I agree about the seat-no reassuring "click" when locked. On the other hand, as you're sat on it, it's unlikely to fly off...
    Happy riding.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don't worry neutral a common problem when new. Mine was almost impossible when stationary, had to switch engine off, select neutral then restart. Should have improved with first service. Do you know what oil is in there? It works better with Motul which most dealers use.
    Mine is now no problem at all.

I've found it helps if you start the bike for the first time in 1st gear with the clutch obviously pulled in.

Seat, I have to give mine a wack right at the back or it wont latch.

11. Without wishing to teach grandma how to suck eggs,
    While you are waiting for the clutch to improve with age,
    you’ll find it much easier to select neutral while still rolling, before you actually come to a halt, when approaching junctions etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. It’s got whatever oil Seastar put in it at its first service at 600 miles.
    I have bought it with 1300 miles on.

13. Looks nice

14. My neutral problem had eased by the 600 mile service and had completely gone away by about 1,000 miles. I'm on about 2,500 miles now and I never even give it a second thought; it'll happily click into neutral every time.

15. I like the way you clean bikes. If you ever feel you need more practice ...... :)

16. Very Nice Looker...you are going to have some fun on this my friend. BUT the 1st essential mod' is a 14T front sprocket ...improves the rideability all round, especially around town

17. While everybody is entitled to their opinion, I would disagree. If it was "essential" then I am sure that Ducati would have fitted one as standard.
    I tried the 14 tooth sprocket and all it did was make the engine more buzzy, make me look for another gear when touring and increase fuel consumption. I changed back.
    If you live in a city and never get a chance to tour for long periods at decent speeds, it might feel a bit better, but this bike is a sports tourer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sorry we have to agree not to agree quote "makes the bike buzzy" I don't think so, are we riding the same bike ?...for a start all sports bikes are highly geared including Dukes...yes the higher gears are OK for track & touring... but most of us do commutes / mixed riding conditions & the 14T is perfect "All Round" it transforms the bike IMPO...:)I Love the 14T & the bike a even more now its on

#18 ton-up, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  19. Mine is not a Ducati sports bike, it is a sports tourer, Ducati put Panigale on their sports bikes.
    When you say most of us, are you talking about you, or us who ride Supersports? I don't work so don't commute. I tend to to get on the bike pointing north and get off again 6 hours later having covered around 500 miles, the gearing is perfect for that.
    My point was that you described the 14 tooth sprocket as essential, but it clearly is not for everyone, perhaps for you. I have tried the 14t front sprocket and changed it back withing 600 miles, it went into the garage bin.

20. I ride a Supersport S, and you don't have to lecture me on Sports bikes & sports tourers' I've been riding all bikes for 45 years, try looking at the other Ductai Supersport 939 forum on the 14T thread... the majority are in favour of the change.

PS.. Quote "I tend to to get on the bike pointing north and get off again 6 hours later having covered around 500 miles"
    that ride sounds very boring, why did you buy a sports tourer ? you need an automatic Harley or maybe a scooter...:D

#20 ton-up, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information