1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gpa Sj Strapless Helmet

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Twin4me, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Following on from a discussion on another thread I used to own a GPA SJ helmet. I bought it in France at the Bol D'or. This was a revolutionary design as it had no strap, the front and back of the helmet swung down and clipped up to hold the helmet on your head. I later found out it wasn't approved for the road in the Uk, although I never got stopped wearing it. Strange as it was used in F1 at the time. It was nice not to have a strap, but it was a bit of a pain in the arse taking it on and off and making sure it was clipped properly, I used to have a black visor which look very cool (to me).

I found some other history about it:

For outright off-the-wall thinking it’s hard to look past the GPS SJ, which is surely the only modern(ish) helmet to have gone without a chin strap. SJ’ (sans jugulaire-no chinstrap)

GPA created the first full-face crash helmet in 1989 using a totally innovating strap design substituting itself from the classic band (SJ), this development was immediately approved in F1 Grand Prix’s, as well as in motorcycles and rallies and even for everyday use on the road (in France).

Instead, the lower rim of the lid was split into two sections, front and rear, and both hinged down instead. You’d swing them down, put the helmet on and then click them into place, locking the lid onto your head both front and back. The idea was to improve safety by making a lid that would be less likely to come off by accident but that could also be removed in the event of an accident (there was a quick-release system) without having to pull too hard at it. While it was briefly in vogue, and used by riders like Christian Sarron and Patrick Pons as well as a host of F1 drivers in the early 80s, it was never BSI certified and later lost favour in racing, too. Of course, the apparent lack of adjustability, with no strap to tighten, presumably meant that it either fitted or it didn’t.

The GPA/SJ helmet was chosen by the greatest Formula 1 drivers, motor sports icons such as Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Niki Lauda, Henri Pescarolo, Jacques Lafitte, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Patrick Depailler, Gilles Villeneuve and so many more… bringing GPA many World Champion titles in F1, rally and motorcycle GP’s.

80988.jpg GPA SJ.jpg GPA SJ V2.jpg GPA SJ V3.jpg

2. Most definitely not a helmet for the claustrophobic. I tried one on and had an immediate panic attack. It was also not something I felt I could get used to. As a guide to my level of claustrophobia, I have to be sedated to have an MRI scan. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information