1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green lane bike

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Count, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I'm thinking of getting a trail bike, just to play on green lanes around Surrey. I've done years of mountain biking and like the idea of trying some dirt riding. I also like the idea I can drop the bike and not worry:)

I've been thinking of a KTM EXC, Suzuki DRZ or maybe a Yamaha. Probably the classic orange of the KTM appeals most.

I'm not sure on engine size as a first dirt bike and haven't got real experience so wondered if anyone else plays in the mud sometimes and can offer some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I have a TTR250. Light, easy to pick-up, not too powerful, easy to ride, very forgiving - an ideal beginners or occasional trail riders bike. I've added a suspension lowering link, CRD frame guards and bash plate, Renthal bars and had the seat cut-down - all to make it even more rider friendly.

I'm no expert, and I've never ridden the bikes you mention but I've been on rides with other people on them. The DRZ struck me as too big and heavy, and the KTM as too powerful for a beginner or occasional rider.

[​IMG]

3. Hi Count,
    Any 250 bike would be a good choice for the reasons Dave has said.

The bigger bikes come into their own on fast open sections. In "seasoned" hands they are still very capable on slower stuff but, for "normal" greenlane riding, the lighter the bike the better imho.

You can`t just ride anywhere either,as these guys found out:

Hampshire Farmer Cleared Over Biker Death | Local News - Capital South Coast

Your not meant to use unmetalled roads to practice for the Dakar either, pi$$es off the local ramblers no end. :wink:

Whichever bike you choose you`ll have a blast, can`t beat a day getting muddy.

4. The Yamaha XT225 Serow is HIGHLY recommended for this sort of thing.
    Easy to use, light, good off-road ability, and a pretty decent road bike too...

Personally I use a 1990 Kawasaki KE100, but that's because I like a challenge !

5. A "top tip" for you : contact your local TRF group - they will know which lanes are legal to ride, and which aren't. Either that or get along to your local council offices and ask to see the "definitive map" which lists all public rights of way.
    DO NOT just set off out into the countryside assuming that you can ride anywhere - you can't. As previously stated it really pi**es people off if you ride where you shouldn't, and adds to the argument for bikes being banned from the countryside all together...

6. Thanks for advice from all so far.

I'm pretty up to date on the RoW, been a mountain biker for years. Not that many green lanes around here in Surrey but got a mate who is a regular in the south west and have some trips planned.

I'm swinging towards a KTM 250 right now, seems to tick all the boxes aside from holding value too well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. There are 35 miles of lanes in Surrey and best way to find them all is to go on a ride with the Surrey TRF, great bunch of guys and very knowledgeable. I have just sold my KTM 250 EXC-F which was an awesome piece of kit. Before that I had a Husky TE450 which was a bit on the larger side for me actually. So you'd be better off on a 250. Problem with the EXC-F is the service schedule which means that you are changing oil and filters every other ride almost!!

8. KTM EXCF 250 is my most likely bike right now. Should have grabbed yours :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Christmas Eve we went accidental green lane riding, my dad on his Suzuki Gladius, hubby on Suzuki SV650 and me on Monster, not the best bikes for it, but very funny. only there because dad took a wrong turn showing us all the places he used to ride as a youngster, he is 76 this year.

10. Have a look at the MCC's website - you'l find all sorts of "unsuitable" bikes in the most unlikely of places...

11. Excf 250 is a great dirt bike. Good suspension together with a nimble chassis and smooth powerband. Also the Yamaha WR250F is an equally good bike but the Yam has a softer suspension setup. The Yamaha 250 engine is famous for its quality. Or you could allways go for the 2013 husaberg FE250 ;)
    Service scedules are similar on all 4stroke bikes. 5 to 10h between oil changes.

#11 linken711, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
Do Not Sell My Personal Information