1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Laning

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by cookster, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Hi guys does any one here go green laning ?? It looks good fun and I was talking to a chap who runs the trf club in Gloucestershire at the bike show they go all over the shop be nice to give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes, I am a casual green laner, I go on my own though, can't keep up with my mates, they are mostly X motocross riders.
    Steve

3. Where can you take a bike ? Is it legal?
    I have a friend in Buxton who keeps insisting if I buy the bike he'll 'look after' it. I can leave it at his place and take it in to the Derbyshire hills when we visit!
    Haven't fallen for it.... Yet. :)

4. Keep looking at it @Wayne58 just something different to blatting around at 290mph all the time.:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thats why I looked at joining a club they know all the routes.

6. I'd like to give it a go first, with a view to joining a club if I take to it.
    I was up in Macclesfield forest around Christmas when 3 guys on electric bicycles bombed past me. They looked really well kitted out with full suspension disc breaks and fat tyres. But it got me thinking it's only a matter of time before the authorities step in and stop it. They seem to be crossing the boundaries between bicycles and motorbikes but are getting away with it as bicycles are accepted on footpaths.
    Would love to have a go all the same.

7. Just Google green laning Buxton, I believe there is a club in Buxton also.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yes local councils are a problem, I live in Cheltenham and got the Cotswold hills to play in but a lot of routes don't allow motorcycles.

9. I've stopped using a few routes my mates go on as I feel uncomfortable, they are legal but heavily used by pedestrians.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. @Wayne58 Yeah I looked at that but never been a ktm fan.

11. When my toe got bust last year, it was a 300EXC KTM peg that went through my boot, and that aside, the KTM was fantastic for both days, but then, so was my mates Yamaha, which has to be said, he paid a lot less for than the KTM, Yamaha did some deal on the day, that he said was not to be missed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. This is exactly the pressure exhorted by the dog walkers and Sunday strollers brigade. I get the daggers from simply cycling along these paths and ringing my bell when approaching them, I'd expect to be brutally murdered if I was on a noisy 2 stroke throwing mud around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Be warned. The local stuff for us isn’t green lanimg: it’s more enduro trials, with lots of rocks and very low speed stuff. Having done a few days out, it wasn’t for me: I preferred the fire passes and unclassified lanes of Wales. Where you could get to 4 and 5th gears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Oh and they are secretive and don’t live sharing routes at the TRF ;)

Imho I’d go 450 if seat height isn’t a problem, as the road sections between (which can be quite a distance) are tougher on the Lowe capacity ones I have ridden

• Like Like x 1
  15. I started this year, it’s mega and because I hadn’t done it before was like learning to ride again I live in Herts and there’s loads of byways and an OS map app helps alot, put my bike up for sale but after a great day out today not sure I want to sell it now lol, but would benefit from a 350 tho 530 is too much in the mud and sludge for me. Puddle Water over the helmet today so much fun

• Like Like x 1
  16. Since is quite expensive to to track days in the winter and I do not like riding on the road. I decided I'll try green laning through the winter months.
    I ride green lanes from October until April in Kent...all started 3 years ago...so just getting into it.
    If you decide to buy a KTM or Husqvarna 2t pre 2015 check for vibration at the foot pegs..my legs go numb after 30 minutes on my mates bikes.
    Post 2015 bikes have counter rotating shaft so very smooth.

Also worth to look into trials, as it is umbelievable cheap and improves the clutch/brake control, slow speed balance and also fitness. Paid £1000 for a 2005 GasGas TXTpro 280cc 2 years ago..I had been offered £900 for the bike this year. All I spent on the bike was 2x gearbox oil changes. You'll need ACU trials license (£15) join a trials club (£25/year) and £15 for the day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. One thing is important do not get a powerfull or a heavy bike.
    250-300cc 4t should be your first choice or if you prefer 2t than a 250 or 300cc.
    Stay away from 450cc or anything bigger...those are made for quick forest roads/desert riding of professional racers.
    Yamaha WR250 seems to be good reliable bike.
    My fist green lanner was a drz400 that was a nice bike but at 140kg is difficult to lift up, especially after the 10th crash of the day...and you will certainly crash a lot in the first year.
    My second bike was a 2017 250 Exc KTM six-days..sold it for a 2018 injected 250 two stroke six-days. Amazing bike..but bit to race oriented for green lane only use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I find it a great way of keeping riding all year round! I did trackdays for a while but found them expensive and you can't have the same laugh with your mates as you can out on the trails :p
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  19. I bought an XR 250 last year.
    26903986_2033784676863033_485649776175672039_n - Copy.jpg
    I`ve ridden both modern and Pre-65 trials but I stopped in 2012, I always enjoyed the blast between sections so greenlaning scratches that particular muddy itch.
    Me and a mate have just joined the TRF, hoping to do the Scarborough to Morecambe Bay coast to coast and a trail riding weekend near Whitby.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information