1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grip Mechanics

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by bradders, Feb 12, 2020.

1. I know, bike related thread shocker on Ducati forum ;)

Driving home thinking about tyres. And what makes bike tyres work and grip at high lean angle with high speed. As someone who has lost a load of confidence for knee down, high lean angle for track (and a bit for road, minus the knee bit), I’m looking at what can give me that confidence back.

is this right....
    at speed, forces push down, not sideways, so grip at high speed is more consistent than low speed. E.g. 100mph corner has more down force than 30 mph corner.

thoughts?

2. Also, different tyres behave differently. Pirelli’s squash a lot, so heavy breaking adds weight which squashes tyre which gives more turn grip. Michelin stiff walls, so braking doesn’t squash and grip comes from the tyre deflecting because the ‘tread’ end is soft
    Thoughts?

3. no... nothing intelligent to add here... i know that doesnt normally stop me....be interested to learn more though..

4. Heat will be involved somewhere. Makes the tyre supple and sticky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Why smoothness is so important
    Skip straight to 4.18 if you want to, but the whole lesson is spot on. Do you have a 3 point brake hand or a 10 or 30 point brake hand?

#6 Oldrat, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Yep, smoothness and not messing with the bars are key. Also realise that with modern tyres you have a bigger footprint on the road at lean than you do upright (not just because what you said about the down force, they're designed that way too).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Holly shit.....that's amazing!!!
    So, with our beloved Ducatis, and the savage amount of engine braking we have when we roll off....do we get the tyre loaded up for us ?
    Or, do we need to still think brakes into a corner?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information