1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutted, Not Impressed And P’d Off

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by iang27, Jun 20, 2018.

1. 2829E46D-73C0-4CC6-9E71-AD0CAC6CCE19.jpeg D9906FCF-C718-498C-AAD3-3ACF68A01055.jpeg BEC85B2D-E09C-4946-846C-40CAF2944F9A.jpeg 1BB8F7FF-F784-47C2-961A-1E374485EF41.jpeg After a year of being without a bike through ill health and due to go into hospital tomorrow I decided to come back to the fold and buy a nice 848 Streetfighter.
    Found a bike at a main dealer for ‘peace of mind ‘asked the normal questions and was assured everything was good so bought it.

Turns up today, puts it in the garage and my heart sank.
    The very major problem I asked about was plain to see.
    The ignition barrel was 2cm off centre, the forks and electrics hit the tank, the rear seat cover was pushed back and the rider seat was jammed in with the screws just turning.
    Me and the driver managed to get the seat out eventually and the under tank carbon panels were that tight they looked like they could explode.
    The tank was obviously very badly swollen and if they had bothered to remove it my guess is that it wouldn’t go back on. It was up to the paps under the seat as well.

I was so looking forward to getting this bike and after ringing the dealer he was going to ask service about the tank.
    I got this gut feeling that this was going to be a lemon so I rang back and rejected the bike.
    Offered a refund immediately.
    Felt sorry for the driver but I am now about £60 out of pocket as the insurance charged £30 to cancel even though it just started and I am having to send the tail tidy etc back so £20 in postage.

Feel like billing them for my losses !

Back to square one then.

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. What a sickner mate,

Ive not got any bother with the tank on my 1098 and hopefully it stays that way, That must be swollen in a big way, Should have been a recall on this, Certainly a safety issue looking at the photos,

• Like Like x 1
  3. you bought a second hand bike without looking at it......? caveat emptor

4. You tend to trust a main dealer with a good reputation who assured me it was fine. I asked the specific question about the tank.
    It is 120 miles away and when you don’t feel great and are in and out of hospital you have to have a bit of faith in them.

Naturally I wouldn’t buy a bike privately without seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. That's the worst one I've seen! Not good... good they refunded straight away but ask for your costs, you should not be out of pocket. They can only say no, at least it's not a lot of money either way...

#5 Exige, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lucky escape I would say. Would also ask for costs to be covered as the item was not as described.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. This is not the first instance of a “reputable” main dealer falling short of the quality of service you would hope to expect. The immediate offer of a full refund says volumes. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sorry to learn Ian, last thing you need right now by the sound of it - this is supposed to be the 'good thing' about buying from a dealer as surely they are compelled to sort this out if they have any interest in remaing/becoming a reputable company.

9. What a drag mate, and I'd be p*ssed off too. Now I'm glad the dealer immediately refunded you, but like the others I would ask for the other costs aswell. If they were a reputable dealer, they would have done a predelivery check and would have noticed this defect. If they didn't do any checks then they are anything but reputable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. They serviced the bike apparently but hadn’t had the Seat off. Oil change if that.
    The rear tyre was squared off as well.

I feel disappointed, deflated, let down, angry and any other emotion going.

Money is out of my account but not back in !
    Probably take a week to ‘process’

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Just spoken to them and they will not refund my losses.
    Said they had spent money in the workshop and had to put new mirrors on it.
    Told them that was not my fault and I shouldn’t be out of pocket but no luck.

I may push this further as I would not have bought the bike had they been honest upfront.

12. Try trading standards first then small claims court

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Who was it? You may as well name and shame since they are so deserving!

Isn't it odd that they saw it needed mirrors, but completely missed the misshapen tank?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. They should at least refund the cost of the thesaurus!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. There’s no way they didn’t notice it. You’d notice it the moment you went to put the key in the ignition. Did they MOT the bike as well as service it because with the controls making contact with the tank, that’s a straight MOT failure. Does the service manual state they should have done things like air filter or anything, because you’d know they’ve not bothered as they wouldn’t have wanted to touch that tank.

Has the bike gone back yet? Keep hold until the money is in the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Not worth it for £60, I thought they would offer it as a goodwill gesture.

Email to manager first and see how they respond.

Driver took the bike straight back, 5 hour round trip. He was great, kept apologising. Told him t was hardly his fault.

They were mot’ing it, checking it over and servicing it, but didn’t take the seat off.
    If they took the tank off I don’t think they would get it back on. It looked like it had pushed the rear seat unit back hence why the cowl didn’t fit.
    The front of the seat was pushed tight up against the tank as well.

#16 iang27, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  17. That's the worst I have seen. :(

Terrible for them not to refund your losses, given that they are 100% at fault. :mad:

Name them! :innocent:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ducati Wolves are no more, who has taken over the Mantle :thinkingface:

19. Ian, I can understand your disappointment.
    Hope the hospital visit goes well (been spending a fair bit of time there myself) and will hopefully hear from you when you are better.

Roger

20. Please tell us which main dealer it is, also contact Ducati U.K. @Tim Maccabee

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information