1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Martin Retiring From Road Racing

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Masklin, Jul 26, 2017.

1. According to his own FB page, MCN have it wrong (again) as he's not riding for Honda but is still going to race some of the vintage stuff and now looking at pikes peak on 4 wheels.

2. I don't think Guy's heart has been in road racing since the 2015 Ulster crash, since then he seems to view racing as I've been lucky so far so no need to risk it anymore. I'm glad he's not giving up all riding and events and just doing it for fun and when he wants to.

To be honest had this crash happened to me, I probably would not get on a bike again. warning, guys 2015 Ulster crash

3. Good luck to the lad, whatever he does in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. We saw him chatting with Wildee at Cadwell, which sent me off scurrying to find Wildee's rather lovely R1 to have a nosy at...

IMG_5478.jpg

I did wonder though this morning when I read the fanfare in MCN and then GM's quite contradictory FB post whether this was a co-ordinated release or information escape? Honda have been silent on the matter I think?...

It's been almost embarrassingly pro-Fireblade for the last fortnight in MCN and I did wonder whether Honda have been whipping up the press to say nice things about it, but even Simon Hargreaves was preparing to forgive the 'blade in the most recent Front End Chatter and he's been cynical and scathing about it.

What I thought was quite shocking was the tiny little paragraph where Honda have released the reason for McPint's NW200 get-off. His bike blipped the throttle, with the ECU being the culprit. I hope that Honda do right by him, as I've seen nothing but loyalty from him towards them and they were quite openly debating his version of events. That is a potentially career-ending injury and he wasn't exactly out to pasture. The whole 2017 Fireblade thing has been a mess really :(

GM hasn't really looked comfortable on his bike this year. He was looking good during the practice lap at TT before Alan Bonner's sad accident but reading today it seemed like seeing that was enough to confirm that he didn't want to do the Senior. After the crashes Guy has had he's probably making the right decision for himself, and he's ingrained in the national consciousness now so he'll continue to make interesting telly / be mildly repetitive and have a jolly old time. He was mobbed at Moto Time Attack, so he's as popular as ever but on track he was going round Cadwell at 1'36" whereas Chrissy Rouse and Phil Crowe were doing 1'29" and 1'30" laps on privateer bikes. If people really wanted to see what Lincolnshire is growing then watching the Neave twins out there, having enormous fun, absolutely ripping on 600s gave a hugely entertaining glimpse of what other local motorcycling talent is coming up.

It's a shame as even at Cadwell on the 'blade there were flashes of the old Guy. He was turning in great sector 1 times but he hit the grass more than once at the Gooseneck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. That is covered in the MCN articles. It is international road racing he says he's retiring from and the Pikes Peak venture is also mentioned.

There is a quote from Neil Tuxworth of Honda in the article.

#8 Masklin, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  6. Yeah, true. Wasn't sure whether he was speaking for Honda though as Johnny Twelvetrees is the manager of the team now and there's nothing from Honda Racing PR or on twitter or whatnot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guy Martin has been stepping back from racing for quite a while- he knows it and the rest of the paddock knows it! He has become all the things he said he never would? The high profile TV celebrity biker - yes,a tad eccentric but he has overplayed the tea drinking,HGV mechanic,boy next door eccentric a bit too much and far too often - in my opinion! Wether or not his bottle has faded? He was visibly shaken at the TT when the 2017 Blade bit back and bucked him off and you could see there was no way he was getting back on it - and I don't blame him for that one bit.He is obviously grafting himself a nice few quid and having a lot of fun doing lots of different activities - good luck to him

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. That which Neil Tuxworth doesn't know about winning on a Honda is not worth writing about.* Tuxworth's reaction to Guy's review of the 2017 Honda seems rather rash to me.
    2017-07-28-0001.jpg
    *Some accidental humour from Performance Bikes

9. I don't know how many saw the after the accident interview where he was quite shaken and was clear the bike was at fault

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information