1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Hacksaw To The Butterfly

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Anyone simply hacksaw cut the exhaust butterfly leaving the spring mechanism to fool the ECU? I figure it should work ? Or possibly drill out the rivets if it's held in that way? and this way, it can bloody well seize all it like's providing there's no butterfly in the way. :grinning:

#1 Wayne58, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. I think RotaxRacer did this with his.

3. Thanks mate, I'll drop a line

4. I drilled out the screws on mine as it was sticking
    pretty straightforward - but it's easy to drop the butterfly into the cat which would be a pain to get out

• Like Like x 1
  5. cheers mate, that's exactly what I've just done and throttle response is definitely sharper since that daft valve removed. I put cloth down pipe to catch swarf and valve, would recommend doing this to all multi owners. And for my efforts, a pint me thinks :grinning: IMAG0459.jpg IMAG0460.jpg IMAG0461.jpg

#6 Wayne58, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. 10 pence fix valve fixed open and spring fitted as shown keep the servo in the loop so no error messages.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Will try and locate the cable away from the exhaust later.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

8. Butterfly out, cable and mechanism still intact...even cheaper than 10p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. My butterfly had Phillips screws that had a weld spot to butterfly. Dulled six bits so far I may have to use spring.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yeah mine too, used a 4mm drill direct into middle of Phillips screw, once heads of screws drilled, butterfly fell off. :upyeah:

#11 Wayne58, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  11. When mine gave out it was pretty tight so I just used some pliers to set it open and left it there. It's probably welded itself in that position now, without any intervention on my part. I then just fitted a DUC-EE to clear the warning light. Done. No drilling, extra springs, or anything. It's not suddenly going to start working again so why bother doing anything else?

12. Mine had not completely seized, was intermittent jamming shut, and drilling out was even cheaper the Duc.EE :grinning:

#13 Wayne58, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  13. Drilling it out is essentially what i did on my hypermotard...looks exactly the same....get it dynod and you can unplug the flapper motor and the cables also...

14. Not too bothered now it ain't there, cable and motor can do what they want :upyeah: Definitely makes a difference to the mid range throttle response, whereby that valve usually pulls in. Much better, easy fix :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ammended my post, just looked at drill bit, is a Ti coated HSS 4mm Makita, one bit did both screws, but the bit is now done for

16. Did exactly that. Had it done actually. It was a pain in the ass but the results are exactly as you describe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm using spring method.

18. If you have a Dremel(EVERY biker has a dremel :) ), just fit a small grinding wheel, and remove the screw heads. Only took a few minutes, not including the end can removal/refitting, and no broken Drill bits.

19. That's what I did, I just ground the weld off securing the screw heads, then removed the screws, simples..!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information