1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Had A Bit Of An Off :-(

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Snips, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Hi,

I came off my 1098 this afternoon, entirely my fault.

I ran wide on a fairly gentle right-hand bend on single track country road, entered the gravel in the gutter, and didn't save it.

Thankfully, I fell left and onto the grass verge which was effectively straw bales.

I'm perfectly fine (almost, leg a bit sore), but the front and rear fairing are broken :(

The more worrying part for me is that the bike now makes a strange noise when running in neutral.

The bike went down on to grass on the left hand side, the gear shifter is pretty bent. It ran for a few moments on its side, and leaked some oil, but there's now plenty of oil left, and I've taken the panels off and can't see where the oil leaked from.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the cause of this noise...

Strange noise after off :-(

2. Ooooo ouch sorry to hear
    Hope you get sorted :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. That's a bit harsh on him! ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hope you get it sorted easily! :upyeah:

5. exhaust shifted? you survived that's good luck. bummer all the same.

6. Sorry for your pants day.
    I watched the vid, but it was inexplicably silent, so I have no advice to give. Sorry.
    It wouldn't have been worth anything in any case.

7. theres a mute button comes up on screen

does not sound like a ducati. like a starter motor almost??? TBH I wouldn't be running it until either I'd stripped and checked if I knew what I was doing or got someone else to.

8. sounds like starter, maybe somethings rubbing against your clutch

9. I'd be getting that checked out pronto. As F_E said, may, be mains (bearings). Glad you're ok.

10. Thanks all.

Main bearings - is that as serious as it sounds? :(

11. OK, thanks.

It's a strange off, as it was as soft a landing as it could have been in the circumstances.

The plastics were broken but I was hoping that was nearly all cosmetic. Would be a shame to write the bike off with such a simple off.

I'll let you know the outcome.

12. Difficult to say from the vid, but properly screwed mains sound more like the crank is moving through sandpaper. A swishing sound.

Its def not right tho.

13. sounds like something untoward in the clutch. Whats that thing flapping around just visible in your video in approx 3 o'clock position near the center of the clutch cover?

14. Get it checked out. I wouldn't be riding it mind.

15. That's just the springs, visible through the open clutch, I think.

The noise does seem to be coming from the clutch region - but I guess that's just along from the crank. I only ran it a few moments but I did try pulling in the clutch, but it didn't change the noise.

I did also suspect the exhaust too, so I'll have another look, but I'll definitely be getting it checked out by someone who knows.

16. Check your clutch springs. I had one of my clutch spring posts unwind so that the top hat spring retainer was rubbing on the inside of my clutch cover. Note mine is a slipper clutch. Dont recall if OEM clutch centres have replaceable spring posts. But worth a check. Finding it difficult to see why a small off on one side should feck your mains up unless they were already shot.

17. I agree, but I'm no expert. My only thought is that the bike was laying on its side with the engine still running for a few moments while I picked myself up (not long at all) - could that have starved the bearings from oil?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information