1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamilton Spoiler!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, Nov 6, 2020.

1. I dont get the 'ego' thing. He seems pretty down to earth, as much as a 6x world F1 champion can be.

They should be judged when retired. Like foggy, he was an orrible twat. Now hes quite a nice affable fellow. Same with Schuey, a right bastard, but once retired he was a relaxed nice guy. Doohan too is a nice guy now.

2. I didn't say he shouldn't expect not to get papped. I questioned why he should be called out on ie: criticised and brought into line over his dress sense. Why are you lot so obsessed by and upset about someone who doesn't even know you exist and whose choice of clothes and hairstyle has absolutely no relevance to your day to day lives. It's very odd. Personally, I wouldn't dress like Lewis does, but at the same time seeing him kitted out like a bag lady in blue doesn't make me irrationally angry either. Live and let live. It would be a very boring world if we were all the same.

You're also wrong about the copyright thing and seem to have just swallowed the Daily Mail's misleading hit-piece hook line and sinker. It was discussed in this very thread a while back. Copied and pasted below.

"This seems to provide a more neutral version of events and it looks as if your chronology is more accurate than the DM’s (who would have thunk it!?).

https://insights.kemplittle.com/pos...ccess-does-not-translate-to-eu-trade-mark-suc

IP law isn’t something I know much about but it seems that Lewis (or at least his IP holding company) had been perfectly happy to live and let live, co-existing in the market with the Hamilton watch brand until 2015. However, the watch company then applied to register “Hamilton” as a TM, which Lewis’s company/advisers probably interpreted as a hostile move which was designed to or might have the effect of preventing him partnering with watch companies to make “Lewis Hamilton” special editions (like Michael Schumacher did with Omega) or to sell a “Lewis Hamilton” line of watches (he would have already been prevented from branding them “Hamilton” under a doctrine known as “passing off”). It also doesn’t seem he was trying to stop them using the name but was merely trying to stop them TM’ing it.

So - this wasn’t the action of a petulant entitled brat but a fairly arid and perfectly legitimate commercial dispute over how the two companies can label their respective products and rub along together in the watch market. It’s also given the Hamilton watch company a lot of free publicity so I doubt they’d have been that upset even if they’d lost.

Seeing as this was a decision of an EU court, I imagine quite a few people are conflicted by it because I reckon a Venn Diagram which had “Hamilton Haters” in one set and “EU Haters” in the other set would show a significant degree of overlap ;) "

Link to post here ------> Hamilton

#422 Zhed46, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. He is a divisive character. Because of his value to the media, he feels like he can say & do what he wants & so he can, but I’m sure that he understands that when he dresses like that (or worse) he will get called out on it by some.
    Whether you believe the best Car argument or the best driver argument his achievements are momentous and statistically he will be the greatest ever racing driver for a long time to come yet. I’m grateful that Britain has had a seven time (so far) world champion at the pinnacle of the sport and I think he consistently proves that when it matters he is one of the two best drivers out there, he’s still a class apart in the rain for instance but there’s also that part of me that sees a Knight of the realm in a net skirt and make up and a little bit of me is uncomfortable. That’s on me I guess but there you go

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 7 times…so far!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I’m wondering when having an opinion on someone or something all of a sudden became being driven mad or angry by them? Pretty sure most are ambivalent in that respect and not frothing at the mouth with rage

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Got knighted, did he? I'd have thought you get consulted before anything gets announced, so when you reply "Fuck off!", they move on and no-one gets embarrassed? Because anyone who accepts a knighthood is a piss flap?

7. Wonder no more. In the last two pages alone he's been called a c*nt (3 times), a tosser, a twat and a bell end by 4 different members, which seems pretty angry to me. And a 22 page thread devoted to one person where much of it is character assassination suggests a fair few people on DFUK are kind of triggered by him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I'm assuming you've never got your hands dirty for a living. That language was common place in plenty of my work places. In fact it was often regarded as flirting, when used by a woman.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. What a bizarre post-Anyone? Sir David Attenborough?

10. Your implication being that Attenborough is above criticism?

11. Actually, although I have been in exclusively white collar work for a good 20 years now, in the past I've worked as a window cleaner, helping out in a mate’s garage, a labourer and then as a welder in a metal work company

Tbh, quite a lot of the posters do seem quite passionate about Lewis and I had wondered whether the sight of him in a dress was causing some sort of internal conflict. :laughing:

#431 Zhed46, Oct 8, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I've worn a kilt. It was also liberating.

13. No my implication being that he’s not a, what did you call him, a piss flap?

• Like Like x 1
  14. The man knows how to wear a skirt and drive the shit out of a car he’s ok in my book

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Yawn.... Too tired to be angry.

When I'm behaving/ talking/ dressing like a tosser (OK its not often but may happen) I expect to be called a tosser. I'm also grateful -though not always at the precise time- of being told & Hamilton is likely to be similar. Simple really.

#435 Jez900ie, Oct 8, 2021
  16. The Honours system is entirely political; that is to say, ‘Bread and Circuses’. It is bought into either by cynicism, or naivety (a degree of naivety less-charitably described as ‘stupidity’. The awards have as much merit as the polls we have from time-to-time to find ‘Britain’s funniest joke/TV moment’: which is, to say, none whatsoever beyond giving the uncritical voter an illusory sense of agency).

Obviously, then, if you're not implying Attenborough is infallible, your issue is with the epithet: but that's just a pair of words. There are many others we might utilise - perhaps reflecting the recipient's worldliness/depth of senility thus culpability.

But, really, it's political or it's craven.

17. Wrong. Certainly not this one anyway….

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. If he wins tomorrow what a driver.

19. Did everything he could today to minimise his penalty. He’ll be praying for safety cars and some carnage. Could be interesting: nothing to lose so go for it in overtakes! May even be worth a watch…

20. If he wore a fetching knitted white cardy would it be better ?

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information