1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamilton Spoiler!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Interestingly I just re watched some old Mansell YouTube docs. Namely the mansell and Ferrari and mansell and Williams ones. Honestly he was such a miserable shite! An absolute fun sponge! The difference I think in part is that when on camera or Meeting fans he was quite convivial. They have such a bigger platform these days and because the teams also won’t let them say anything freehand, they just seem to spout garbage to their followers.

I mean, who’s heard anything from Lewis about how the car feels in detail this year v last year? What’s improved, what still needs work, what does he want the team to focus on?

2. Fun Sponge, I like it, is that like a Cockwomble?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You’ve got to feel sorry for poor Lewis, he took the Hamilton watch brand, (now part of Swatch), to court to stop them using Hamilton as a brand name because he wants to use Hamilton as a brand name himself. I mean, where’s the justice in that? Hamilton have only been using Hamilton as a brand name since they started making watches in 1892!
    https://theparcferme.com/hamilton-loses-3-year-legal-battle-with-hamilton/

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Brand name theft? not on our watch.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. similar yes, cockwombles aren’t as good drivers

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. This has already been discussed and unsurprisingly, given the likely source of their article (a Daily Mail hit-piece) you have misunderstood the nature of the case. Page 7 onwards, or here is a summary: Hamilton:upyeah:

7. As I think you said in a post which seems to have disappeared, any form of racing takes money. I looked into doing Desmodue about 15 years ago but realised that I could neither afford the cost as my finances then stood, or just as importantly the time, and I also had a look at getting my eldest son who is naturally pretty quick into karting when he was about 8 (12 yrs ago), but again, the money involved and the time commitment was too big of an ask.

I've never heard stories that Hamilton was "poor", although being brought up on a council estate does imply that. This is from his Wikipedia page and pretty much accords with what I have heard and read, which doesn't leverage a poverty angle but rather the dedication his father demonstrated to fund the racing. "His father bought him a go-kart for Christmas when Hamilton was six[24] and promised to support his racing career as long as he worked hard at school. To support Hamilton, his father took redundancy from his position as an Information Technology manager and became a contractor; sometimes working up to four jobs at a time, while still attending all his son's races.[25]Anthony later set up his own IT company, still managing his son,[26] and continued managing him until early 2010.[27][28] In addition to his IT work, Anthony took on extra jobs to fund his son's racing career, including working as a double glazing salesman, dishwasher and putting up signs for estate agents.[29]"

I imagine that a fair few parents of racing kids do likewise and are righty praised for doing so. For example, Casey Stoner's mum and dad sold up and moved to the UK, but I don't see the same hate directed towards him/them even though Stoner is very much a Marmite person.

• Like Like x 1

8. No idea what’s happened to that post?

If it’s the case that someone on here has thought it needed moderating I’d like to know why exactly ?

9. One might just be able to finance a career in karting the way Hamilton senior did. I would guess nowadays it going to be around 100k a year to do the world championship. A very good friend of mine runs a team in European formula 3. The kids there pay him half a million a season plus extra for accidents and they have to cover their own travel expenses and accomodation. Sponsorship is either the family business or red bull if they think you are any good. I seriously doubt we have the best drivers in F1 but the best of the well funded ones. Occasionally someone like Ron Dennis decides to fund some young drivers and that together with red bull is about the only chance you have of making it without bags full of money. Eddie Jordan was always willing to let newcomers have a go in his F1 cars. The fee in the early 2000 was half a million for half a day. The kids and their parents were queuing up. You needed 300km in a formula 1 car for your superlicence so there was no alternative to paying the money if your ability didn't present you the opportunity for free.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Don’t forget that Lewis Hamilton started racing karts when he was 8 and he was signed by Mclaren’s Ron Dennis when he was 13 so he had professional sponsorship and support from a pretty early age, something that most people can only dream about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. So? I imagine Mr Dennis doesn't just give sponsorship away to "dreamers" and that Lewis earned it. Clearly Mr Dennis' fair-minded and far-sighted investment was a wise one as it has been rewarded many times over. It also doesn't account for the other 5 years in which according to a Akorenika's post, above, would cost around £100k PA these days, meaning that Hamilton Snr sank up to today's equivalent of £0.5m of his own apparently (very) hard-earned money into the venture.

Such bitterness and resentment on this thread....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Oi, this is the ‘Hamilton Is A Twat’ thread. Either join in the fun or argue with noobie. Or something....

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Who? Don't know the fella :yum

14. Nationality IMO, the English love to bash success and let’s face it he’s very good at what he does.

Even his teammate can’t best him.

15. Nah, not necessarily. He’s very hard to like with the way he behaves. I always gave him the benefit of the doubt because I don’t know him. Plus focused sport pro’s can often be very spikey when going about their business. I get that.

But some people are just natural born twats. And he’s one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I’m feeling left out nowadays, I contribute regularly, occasionally disagree with the odd poster , I’ve even used the WTF emoji once (sleepless night there) & I’ve never had a post removed. What am I doing wrong?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

17. He got on the Mclaren scholarship. He was one of three people (I know numerous people who’ve got on the same scholarship who haven’t had anywhere near the resource thrown at them) One of the guys was a supreme driving talent but had a god awful cocaine and party condiment problem as well as other issues surrounding females. He was a liability and Ron didn’t like him. The other driver just wasn’t all that great to be honest.

Sadly to get anywhere near the Mclaren scholarship you need to have a shit load of money and resource behind you anyway and sadly your face very much has to fit. It’s a shame really as it goes against the idea of a scholarship in my book.

but then motorsport has never once been a easily accessible or fair sport.
    I know of a few guys that regularly beat Lewis back in the day at kart level and on (that is not to say that he isn’t good but again Ofcourse he is) my point is that there is many that are. But I digress they were just not able to live with the expense.
    It’s a rich mans sport and even if you’ve got a fair bit of money, it’ll disappear quickly. Motorsport turns billionaires in to millionaires is the old saying haha. Many will sit and tell you they’re skint but there’s nobody in motorsport who is truly skint. There’s just different levels of wealthy.
    We have some family friends that made it to f1 back in the 70’s etc. The sheer costs involved even back then was absolutely astounding. one of them a family ended up loosing a whole chain of hotels!
    I raced a little with Chilton back in the day in karts (we ran out of a van) those boys all had massive motorhomes and factory teams, his old man was reportedly throwing a million £ a race for max to run at the back of the grid on f1.

Even back when I was a lad (30 now) people were throwing 100-150k a year in super one fairly easily.
    My last ever race in a kart was at shenny, I wrote off two chassis in one meeting (around 6-7k at trade) after getting fired off in two heats and hung up my helmet. It was getting ridiculous.

Motorsport is eye wateringly expensive. It’s in my blood. It’s a huge part of my life, but in many ways I hate it. The cream doesn’t rise to the top. Money does. It isn’t about talent. There’s shit loads of crap racing drivers that even rusty me could run rings around who are in premier series and doing alright.
    Just to make it live for some people, something like touring cars which is basically posh banger racing will cost you half a million a year really to do properly. Yes you can do it for less, but you’ll be nowhere. Even basic stuff like clio cup which some said you could do for 80k a season (bollocks unless you’re happy being last everywhere and never ding it) was around 120-140k a year back in 2012.

GT’s which is what I always dreamt of doing is easily more than double that at a fairly basic level. (Around a million a season at least to do it at a decent level) sky’s the limit though. Single seaters? Forget it. You’re talking millions a season. Millions and millions.

that’s life though I suppose. Broke my heart as a kid though.

#158 Advikaz, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Max Mosley?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Max Chilton

Do Not Sell My Personal Information