1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handlebar Grip Removal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Mr-Superlight, Apr 7, 2019.

1. As the weather should be warming up (should be, as it has been cold and damp the past few days), I am planning to get around to refurbing my bars. I'm puzzled as to the appropriate method for removal of the grips and end weights. Haynes manual indicates the end weights have a screw for removal, from what I see it looks more like a rivet, not sure if they are originals and maybe they just prise out?

2. A photo’ would be very useful at this point?

3. Yes, Ive never tried to remove them as I think they could get destroyed in the process, the end weights that is. If you are looking to replace the grips they are cheapish, about 15quid a set iirc

4. I'll drag the bike out into the daylight tomorrow to see if I can determine the fixing method, if not then I'll post up a photo.

5. Although I had aftermarket milled aluminium ones on my 750, I think the fixing is similar. An Allen screw into a metal expanding type thingy inside the bar. Once the screw was out, the fixing would drop out. Getting the grips off was fairly easy by pushing the inner end outward.

6. To loosen tight grips, stick a crosshead screwdriver between grip and bar, then squirt wd40 or similar in there using a "straw"
    Roll the screwdriver around the bar to distribute the liquid, slide grip off bar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. The OEM bar ends have a rivet in them that expands the plastic and jams them in. Try wrapping a cloth around them and gripping them with Mole wrench or similar. Pulling while rotating back and forwards may get them out. Failing that drilling out the rivet is the only option but will probably destroy the bar end.

• Like Like x 2
  8. This is what I thought.

OP, do they have to be removed?

9. I'm going to repaint the bars so will need to remove them from the bike for this. Not sure if I can get away without removing the bar end plugs.

10. If you have access to an airline then use the air nozzle in one place between the bar and the grip. The air makes just enough room to slide the grip on or off.

11. Had to do exactly that the other day. Not swept up the mess yet from drilling out the rivet and plastic.

12. Yoke bolts.jpg So, got the grips etc off the rhs (bar end removal not needed after all) but the top yoke removal looks a bit more involved than Haynes suggests. Fork and steering stem pinch bolts undone, steering stem nut off but I now see gold coloured 2 bolts thst appear to hold the ignition barrel to the top yoke. Don't appear to be internal (allen) bolts or have flats on them. Are these security bolts?

Ok so I've been a bit lax with searching on here for pointers and have now found that they are security bolts that may or may not come out easily. Various methods seem to have the potential to work so I'll I see if I can remove with pliers or a bolt with a locking nut on.

#12 Mr-Superlight, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  13. If you can get the top yoke off, its easier to remove these bolts usunig one of the methods you describe. The ignition barrel has a plug you can remove to facilitate this.

14. :upyeah::upyeah: ...But not WD40. Use Hair spray. It lubricates when wet and sticks when dry.

15. Thanks, access to the bolts is pretty restrictive in situ so hopefully I can manage this

16. Yes but that's for putting the new one on...

17. And the little bit on the end is for putting your foot on when taking them off.............;)

18. I just use a stanley knife.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I know, my recently purchased Vespa has only 1 grip. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. I use that method too. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information