1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Handlebar Risers And All That 1098

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Colin Rhodes, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Hi Folks

Given how many people like me have suffered aching wrists arms for the sheer pleasure of riding our Ducati x98’s I am surprised not to be able to find any clear guidance around the topic of raising the height of the handlebars a but.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see the issues but no one seems to know the answers, I’m hoping to find the final answer with this post.

Yes the bike is a full on race bike and the position is what it is.
    Yes there is limited scope to raise the handlebars due to the constraints of fairing and the fluid reservoirs, but….

There seem to be several avenues to explore…
    1) Speedymoto Gullwing top clamp - Does it really help and how much can you gain in reality with Showa /Ohlins? Is it needed at all if you can buy billet bar risers that raise the bars to the maximum level possible anyway?
    2) Bar risers - They look relatively straight forward but the question about how high you can raise the bars seems to be governed by the issue of the crazy high fluid reservoir brackets which leave sod all clearance between them and the fairing. This leads to avenue 3 below…
    3) In order to overcome the constraint of using super high bar risers, is it possible to either fit a different reservoir bracket to lower them or fit something like the MotoCorse integrated brake/clutch fluid reservoir units directly to the standard Brembo levers.

I am specially looking at possibly using the MotoCorse integrated fluid reservoirs together with some DUCABIKE bar risers - Trying to get answer from Conquest racing but still waiting. If anyone has already tried these and run into issues would be great to know.

Thx for any thoughts or comments - Been riding my 1098 since I brought it new in 2007 - enough is enough on the wrist pain. Love the bike though.

2. Theres also the Helibars option. I ran them on my old 1198. Raise is about an inch (ish)

3. Thanks bootsam - Was it worth it, did not notice a positive difference?
    Did you run into any issues with the fluid reservoirs / turning circle / clearances?

4. I had speedy moto triple tree and clip ons on my 1098s years back.
    Seriously well engineered parts, clip ons could be rotated for sweep/height etc...in addition to height you gain with triple tree.
    I had minimum issues clearance wise iirc.
    Made massive difference comfort wise.
    Not sure if they still make them tho.

5. Hi
    Had helibars on my 848.
    It makes the bars slightly higher and a bit wider.
    IMO it does make a difference but it is minimal and certainly doesn’t stop aching wrists.
    From what I can remember you have to jiggle about with them to find the optimum position but whatever position they end up in , the steering lock is compromised.
    I think the lock stops on the frame are adjustable to stop the bars hitting the fairing which is always going to be the limiting factor.
    There are so many variables in rider comfort that it would be difficult to get a consensus on what actually is worth doing.
    I for one have ridden some very comfortable bikes but find the need to stop after a very short time for a break and a stretch ,where as some of my mates can ride all day with only fuel stops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. As above what P-Weed said, but also I noted they would interfere on the lockstop, but nothing major. Due to aforementioned reservoirs hitting fairing etc..I chose to remove and sell as it didnt relieve my wrists. TBH, some grip puppies helped me more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I agree there. I fitted the Speedymoto top clamp and it raised the clip on height by at least 20mm.
    I think, at least in my case, it didn’t help the aching wrists problem… Grip buddies and more saddle time sorted it more for me.

8. Thanks everyone - replies appreciated.

9. I have the Speedymoto yoke on my 998. Think it’s great, it gives a little more comfort without losing the connection to the front wheel or upsetting the weight distribution and looks good too. Photo attached (colours look a bit weird)

6C3511E3-CF83-41B2-97CA-1547770F3ADB.jpeg

10. I had bar risers on my 749, and marginally it did help. I would love to do something about the bar position (over 60) but to me, altering the height a bit makes little difference. The gains come in bringing the bar position back to you. Then you start sitting up and more of the weight can be down your body. Of course the aim is also to try to take the weight in your core, but that’s also just another thing to help. So it’s the distance away for me which pushes the weight onto my wrists.

11. I have Gilles variobars on my 1098 and 748
    They do raise the height and you can pull them back and they are slightly wider. I also have rearsets on the 748 which drop the pegs it really makes it a comfy bike
    I need some rearsets for the 1098

12. I reluctantly finally gave in to my bad back/age/injuries etc & fitted helibars to my 1098s & 998s - while not a completely perfect & magic solution they do make a noticeable difference.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information