1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley Livewire

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PerryL, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Whilst I accept that there are some die-hard petrol-head, climate change deniers here, and if you are in that category, don't let me stop you from fecking off now.

Right, if you are still here, this is the electric Harley. I have never ever been into Harleys, but their electric offering is interesting - apart from the price! 29k! They can even beat Ducati prices!

upload_2020-10-4_17-3-14.png

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. :poop::motorcycleduc::)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Will it make it round the circumference of the flat earth on a single charge is what I want to know :thinkingface::D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I think they claim 120 miles. Not quite around the World in 80 days - unless you tow a diesel generator.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Needs to be in Speakers' Corner not Lounge. Far too devisive and now on ignore for me. Andy

#5 Android853sp, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. It's a bit like Vyvian in the Yoing Ones saying 'I'd really like to join the police force' during the party episode :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Ride it like you stole it and you'll get 60 miles, Ride it like you bought it and you'll get double. I agree that it is not a great range and very expensive.

I'll just close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears whilst screaming, "GIVE ME PETROL!!! I MUST HAVE PETROL!!!"

Of course, in 10 years, the bikes won't get any better (because bikes never do) and so you still be able to tell people how crap they are. I didn't say that I am gonna buy one - just keeping up with technology - or is that only allowed if it is a petrol bike?

#7 PerryL, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Perry, you mustn't forget you are a mechanical engineer, electricery is just not right :bucktooth::D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's not a massive diffeence from my 1098, admittedly then there's a 20minute recharge to factor in but I'm normally quite happy to sit around with a brew for a chat after an hour or so so I don't see the range as being a limiting factor in electric bike ownership. As Mrs 4 or 5 pointed out whilst we were watching Ewan & Charley's latest outing a lot of bikes are used as entertainment rather than essential travel and a 100+ mile range electric bike would sit perfectly in that particular sweet spot. To be fair 100+ mile range would cover most commutes as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thread moved

11. It needs to be pretty entertaining then for that price tag!

12. I'll refer you to this thread https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1098s-fuel-consumption.10708/
    I get between 60 and 80 miles from a fill to the fuel light depending on where and how I ride.
    That said, the 1098 is exceptionally entertaining and I'd expect an electric bike to be similarly entertaining assuming similar power to weight ratio and handling characteristics.

13. So I am not the only one to be looking t new technologies with interest!

I am still in catch up with "Long Way Up" but so far, the despised media-luvvies have got along with their bikes and recognised their limitations. Ironically, the third bike - used by a cameraman - was petrol and run out in some place where there were massive queues with a shortage of petrol!

#13 PerryL, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I think what they are doing is brilliant, it's proving the concept of electric transport is more than just a pipe dream. Clearly at present there are issues with charging infrastructure but that's the simplest fix, it just takes time and money. Producing a vehicle that can go toe to toe with the equivalent Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicle is the ground breaker and it looks like we are about there.
    If I was in the market for an out and out off roader I'd be giving serious consideration to the KTM Freeride https://www.ktm.com/en-gb/models/e-ride/freeride/freeride-e-xc-2020.html

• Like Like x 1
  15. Interesting.

So, that is a pretty broad range of bikes that you can buy NOW, plus many more (like Ducati) have them well in development.

Somebody here must know of a manufacturer that is going along with their thinking - going, "No!, No!, No!, it will never happen! Petrol is the only way to go. GIVE ME MORE PETROL!!!"

It is not Ducati, and so does this signal the demise of this group? I am betting not...

16. I've come to the conclusion that you may have bumped yer 'ead at some point.

17. And lets face facts, whilst Hondas are not renowned for their breathtaking beauty, I've rarely seen one that is a butt ugly as that lump pictured above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I did.

Knocked some sense into me....

19. Well, it's still a Harley...

20. The livewire came top in a comparison here: https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/cars/best-electric-motorcycles/

They said, "It has a range of 146 miles when driven conservatively or around 90 when hitting top speeds. Speaking of speed, it’ll hit 0-60mph in exactly three seconds."

If I get reasonable compensation (it's all gone quiet now as my sol waits to find out about my driving license and Hastings think I was just trying it on and have given up - oh, bless them, I almost don't want my driving license back so I can feck 'em over for another 100k!) then I will probably will get one just for fun. I'll still have a Ducati (petrol) and so I will still be able to be within this group and p1ss people off! And it will be an electric car, as well. My nearest dealer does Hyundai and the electric Hyundai seems OK. upload_2020-10-5_18-45-30.png

My delight in fecking off people with my rip-off water heater (that dares to work every day using about 2 units of electricity) will only be surpassed by my electric car and motorbike. I have much to look forward to.

Yes, Scotland might be difficult once past Glasgow but no fun in an easy life!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information