1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has any manufacturer improved on the Multi Decat pipes?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by hadidmax, Jan 17, 2014.

1. I am now on my second MTS 1200 and have not yet seen a good decat system that offers a deep exhaust sound.

I’ve used MIVV decat with GPR (baffled) Can and this was too loud.
    The Termi full system is expensive and doesn’t look nice.

Has anyone used Leo Vince decat pipes and does it offer some baffling? Can you share your thoughts on that please?

Thanks, W

2. I have the LV decat and really like the sound.Some say that it is on the too loud side of things so you really need to hear for yourself. Other benefits though are very good choice if you go for a remap and you ditch the ugly cat . I would recommend :upyeah:

3. Read something about our bikes having a different valve overlap so they won't sound as "meaty" as traditional ducati thumpers. Still looking for a decent solution too.

4. I believe there is some truth in the valve angle making some difference to the noise.

I don't think the modern engines of any of the bikes have quite the sound of the 916/999 era bikes anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've a Leo Vince decat and end can. With baffle its acceptable, without its loud. Where are you? I'm London her based, mainly south and west riding. Perhaps we could meet if you want a listen.

6. I have a LV decat and LV carbon can fitted. The decat has a small inline baffle and the can itself has a removable baffle.
    With baffle in place its a nice deep sound and not too loud IMHO. :biggrin:

7. Thanks all for the input, it seems decision made.... Leo Vince it is.

Cheers, W

8. +1 for the LeoVince

9. Too early to let the cat out the bag but there will be a new kid on the block soon....

# made in UK
    # by someone with great credentials
    # better quality, pukka stainless steel....aircraft grade ss :D

Watch this space ;-)

#9 AndyW, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. What about the QD-full system? That makes the MTS sound deep? Have not heard it personally yet.. But I have driven a Diavel with the Termi slip on (not full Termi full system, thats just noisy), and that had a deep and bassy sound. Reminded me of my old Termi equiped Monster S2R. So the Testa 11' can sound like real Ducati, but maybe not quite low and powerfull as the superbike Testas :)

11. I've got the full QD and it sounds awesome. Comes with baffles in the pipe and end cans so it will get you into a track day also. Not cheap but it sounds like a big Ducati alright.

12. + 1 for the QD system, good quality, good sound, good looks

13. This is certainly the deepest sound i have heard on video but much of this could be down to the quality of camera used to film it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I think that clip might be with the baffles out, try this with baffles fitted

#14 Boomer, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  15. Some useful/interesting info on the subject of decat pipes..........extracts from a recent chat with Chris from CJS Racing (who has now dyno tuned many MTS12s with various exhaust setups;-)

For best performance the headers should be equal length before the join and have the pipes turn before the join also so that no exhaust pulse can travel up to the other cylinder.

Looking at the mivv drawing pictured. See the T junction? That is a poor design. At a glance it does not use equal length headers and the junction is a T junction - it should be a Y junction.
    Those baffle/restrictor washers that come in the mivv to dampen the sound also rob you of around 20bhp!

The Arrow , Termi and Leo all use equal length headers and a good Y junction.

Leo definitely make the best decat. Equal power to the termi with less noise and no power robbing baffle needs to be put in the can.

Oh and the 2013 is no different for pipe fitting . I know because I had a guy take his Termi off his 2010 and fit it to a 2013 :)

#15 AndyW, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I had pretty much that same conversation with him a couple of weeks back.

With that said if you also look at the new SC Project systems (decat link included) theirs looks to be the perfect set up with equal length tubing flowing to a Y junction just before the end can.

Oh and the Leo Vince are still not available and whether they will be again i have my doubts, I know they've already dropped certain carbon finished products so to slim down the range (i suspect the new factory cant produce the quality) so with that you have to ask if technical stuff like the Multi link pipe might also get dropped or redesigned.

Things are definitely still looking shakey with Leo Vince so im not sure what to expect if/when they start coming back to market, will the bean counters reduce quality to maximise revenue? Most likely.

#16 damodici, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  17. This is very important to me as I'm close to dishing out over £1,500 for a full termi system, but that includes the ECU as well...

18. You absolutely appreciate that it looks ridiculously long dont you. You are trying to improve the look as well as the noise. £1500 to make a bike look worse is just plain daft!!!!!!

19. I have an Arrow Dark line which has been on for 3 years and covered almost 15K miles.

I think it's a great system and it sounds just right with the baffle in - and it will go louder if you want.

Chris at CJS commented on the equal pipe length, and it tuned up well when he set up my fuelling (I wanted to keep it legal so the baffle stayed in, but he was confident he could have got better results if it was taken out).

It fits nicely with the look of the bike too (being slightly shorter than the Termi), plus it's a lot cheaper than Termi too.

20. .....in your opinion! :wink:

In my opinion a full size can suits the style of the bike, Termi have the angle of the can right and then there's the Titanium sleeve.....class :tongue:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information