1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Has Anyone Removed The Swingarm

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by knightrider, Jul 2, 2021.

1. After some help with removing the swingarm

I've got everything off and unscrewed but I cant get the swingarm axel out. Has anybody done it before. Ive looked through the workshop manual and got a horrible feeling I might have to take off at least 1 of the frame sides

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Dave

2. Yep, 7&5 would need removing for sure, there was a cotterpin on the Monster SSSA that was cunningly hidden under the chain buffer.....tbh I dont see anything like that on that schematic...it may just need a very careful driving through?

• Like Like x 1
  3. like Ive said literally everything is off that you would think needed to be off apart from the rear sub frame/ side panels:thinkingface:

NxqUgg5g.jpeg

ZisCiagg.jpeg

4. That’s a pain. I can see why you’re reluctant to remove the rear subframe, I can’t see how it would prevent you from taking the SA out.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If in doubt, big hammer out* :upyeah:

No responsibility is taken by the poster for the outcome

#8 bradders, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2

6. Take a look at the video above, from about 2 minutes onward.
    It shows the swing arm already in-situ but importantly shows the side rails being affixed over the arm ends with what appears to be an already fitted mushroom shaped alloy spacer.
    I could be wrong but it could be something used by factory to locate the arm prior to side rail fitment. Anyways, hope it's of some use to you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ok, so spent all weekend and today stripping and rebuilding the backend of the bike so I could swop over the swing arm, I followed the service manual instruction and couldn't have done it with out that or the help of a friend ..... BUT I don't understand why you have do so much work when the Swingarm axel would have knocked out through the side panel holes and this would allow you to remove it without all the hassle :thinkingface: yes there are a couple of spacers and maybe a shim as the tolerance is only 1mm between the swing arm and engine casing but we managed to get these back and then knock the axel bar back through with the new swing arm in place

The whole job was a right fk on and hope I don't have to do it again but I have learnt a lot of how things go together :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Why did you need to fit a new swingarm? I contemplated trying to fit a double sided swingarm instead of my single sided one, just so I could have spoked wheels and off road tyres. But I know I'll never do it

9. the bike went over on the left side and the rear footrest must have dug in and done the damage, got a 2nd hand one and fitted that. Have contemplated getting mine repaired and painted black, like the PP, along with side panels .....:thinkingface: but after the hassle don' think ill bother :confused:

nyU1eNAQ.jpeg

10. Ouch ! Andy

11. How did you get the swing arm out, im at the point of knocking up a draw bar for it cause knocking it through seems to be impossible without mishrooming the end? Had to turn the engine upside down just to get the cotter pins out... tried heating the swing arm but the aluminium is just sinking the heat right into the shaft, proper ball ache.

12. You have to take both rear frame units off… basically strip the whole rear end off the bike

13. Everything's off, literally just the engine and swing arm are together, I'm just struggling to get the shaft to budge. Did you just drive it out?

14. Yes just drive it out. I used a 2lb metal hammer and a socket exactly the same size. Probably just seized slightly and yes I was scared I was hitting it too hard and nothing but frustration won over and just kept hitting. Once it starts to move its comes out pretty easy :upyeah:

15. also as post #2 says make sure these are removed (5) in pic below

pjszt1bo.png

#18 knightrider, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
Do Not Sell My Personal Information