1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Resprayed Your Bike?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Davkyt, Feb 6, 2018.

1. I've had colour matches made at my local paint shop but don't know how much to ordeo....

If anyone could give me a rough idea on how many (400ml) cans of paint and how many cans of lacquer I might need for each area it would be great.

Wheels
    Frame
    Tank and cowl

Tia

2. If you are talking about using aerosols to paint your tank, frame and wheels. o_O Why don't you save yourself the expense of having to do it again when it turns out poorly, and have it painted by a local bodyshop. You aren't talking any kind of custom job, so it may be cheaper than you imagine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I'd not thought about it to be honest.
    I've I had a go at the cowl in the past which worked out OK...... Whilst low cost is important, I'm also looking forwafor to doing the project myself.

I might research a spray gun tho...

4. If you have no experience, I'd practice on something other than your bike, to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. As it's a trellis frame, then you really would be better off either powder coating or painting with an electro static gun as they kind of wrap the paint round the frame using opposite electrical charge to frame and paint. For the wheels, my best guess would be 2x primer cans, 2 or 3 top coat and 2 cans lacquer. For the tank and cowl, my guess would be 3 or 4 of each again, but obviously depends how deep and good a finish you require, but most important is the prep work. Just as a guide, I've just painted a belly pan on a multi, took 1.5 cans of primer, and nearly 2 cans of satin black, but even for such a small item, it took 2 days as I let it properly dry between coats, and used 2500 grade paper after each coat. Good luck and let us know your progress.

#5 Wayne58, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. if you are not looking at Concours result and you have an eye for it then definitely go for it. I can't help with the quantity you will need but a complete 748 side fairing took 2 or 3 400 ml cans before I was happy with it. Depending on the type of plastic and the paint already applied you may not need to primer and have even found that the primer is the very thing that has caused problems in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I want on a two week custom paint course at Paint My Ride a few years ago, it cost about £2k and covered everything from dent repair to cudtom airbrushing, but was definitely money well spent. You would waste that much in time, materials, finding out the many pit falls of spraying and then getting someone else to put it right!

Don't get me wrong, providing you've got stacks of patience, read up on the subject and get a proper spray setup (compressor and spraygun NOT rattlecans!) then it is perfectly possible and you'll use FAR less paint and you'll have far more control.

I resprayed the whole of my 900ss using about half a litre of basecoat which cost about £15, you'll probably spend about £50 on basecoat rattlecans alone for a whole bike.

However, you'll also need to use 2k laquer to get a proper finish and that's got Isocyanates in it (NASTY), so proper masks (NOT decorators ones!) and ventilation absolutely required, or send the bits to your local spray shop for that stage is probably easier.

As had been mentioned before, if your still set in doing it (and why not), then I'd definitely get an old scrap tank from the breakers and have a go on that first before you launch into you price and joy.

It's very satisfying when you get it right, but be prepared for years along the way too! I'd done a brilliant repair and respray of my Monster's tank, flatter the laquer off nicely, used the polishing machine to bring up the shine, then at the last second, caught the edge of one of the tank creases and burned straight through to the primer :tired_face:.
    Nothing for it but to flat it all down, respray the area and laquer the whole tank again!

8. Take your point re: cost but modern 2 pack aerosols can create a finish that is as good as many amateurs will achieve with a proper set up if you take the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks Wayne...
    I've had a couple of successful and failures painting in the past.... Main lesson I've learnt are.. Prep, prep and prep..... And dontd rush the coats

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. I have already the time and patience needed.
    One of the main reasons i just bought my 1200 was so that I could take the 750 off the road for as long as needed.....
    Another reason I'm doing it all myself is because imI'not confident of getting the bike stripped and back together.
    Now I have the paint matched i can stop disassembly at any point I'm comfortable, tape everything off and go from there.
    The end product will be near perfect..... I'm open minded on how I'm going to get there

11. Just out of interest......after working out the cost of 30 rattle cans
    What would I need to have a gun set up? How much would it cost? As the paint in tins will be cheaper ..... It might be worth the investment in getting the kit

12. 2nd that mate, I remember back in the day when rattle cans would spit constantly and needed turning upside down every 5 seconds to clear blockages. I was pleasantly surprised this week, when spraying my bellypan using acrylic rattle cans from halfords. I warmed them in a sink full of hot water, shook them well, and they then sprayed with even and very flat coats for the whole 3 cans, no golf ball effect, no runs, no spits and definitely no turning the can upside down to clear it all the time. I'm not saying they would be great for a large panel, like a car bonnet or something, but for smaller stuff, they did a very reasonable job. Personally I would not use them for the body of a bike, and would invest in compressor and gun, but for the odd occasion like bellypan, or a mudguard etc etc, they are fine, and much better than years gone by. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crap photo but the inside and outside of these three parts (Multistrada bellypan) took 1.5 cans of 500ml grey primer, and just shy of 2 cans of satin black. I think I could have got away with 1 can primer and 1 can top coat and would still have looked fine. Each part is approx 12-15 inches long

IMAG1158.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Good job.. . Just out of interest......after working out the cost of 30 rattle cans
    What would I need to have a gun set up? How much would it cost? As the paint in tins will be cheaper ..... It might be worth the investment in getting the kit

15. I'm not sure but if check out SGS engineering or machine mart, they both do compressor set ups for many budgets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. If you are going to invest in a compressor you ought to get a big one you will never look back
    I have a lot of air tools now and they are invaluable. They are a lot smaller tha equivalent electric ones and get into small spaces that electric ones can't
    Best one is 1/2" drive socket ratchet followed by the air powered impact gun
    The worlds your oyster when you've got a compressor:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information