1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Headlamp Wiring

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by gortnipper, May 8, 2019.

1. I bought a used 2013 Evo around Christmas and have been riding it heaps around NZ this summer. Just not at night.

Now the days are getting shorter and I went out after work last night, driving home I total dark for the first time. The lights were crap.

Turns out the dip and high beam are cross wired, so the hi beam is always on and the dip comes on with the flip of the switchgear.

Where would the DPO have switched these connections?

I assume the dip is normally on the left side (as sitting)?

2. Ok, getting it inside the garage it looks like I may be wrong and the R light is the dip? Beam spread on the L looks much tighter which I couldn't see early dusk.

So that would mean the he just had the dip and hi aimed at the sky.

3. The Lo beam is the right there are no differences in LHD or RHD models. Lo angle is only dependent on vertical angle, it just lowers the beam spread, as I remember.

Could be alignment, could be your wieght compared with PO, could be fork height, could be chain tension (which sounds bizarre). Remember that when you tension the chain you raise or lower the back on a cam, that's why you have a ride height adjuster

Most likely though you've just found out that the lights on these bikes are pants. The older 1098 bikes had beam deflectors which could be removed and allegedly improve the output (not too sure on that one myself but there was a lot of talk about it at the time). Newer bikes the deflectors were riveted in and impossible to remove (the older ones used screws)

Quite a few (including me) went to HID, but LED probably a better bet now, to improve light output with sheer brute force. Of course that has legal implications and you may fall foul of the law. LEDs I'd imagine would be easier to install and remove than HID, so as the bike could be put back to Halogen H11s if required.

Not much help I suppose but a little background on it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information