1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Headlight Is Shocking !! Is It Just Mine?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by mileypau, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Hi

Ducati Diavel 2012 Carbon.....something is seriously awry. All that glass up front but it just doesn't throw a decent illumination out front. TBH I noticed it going to the TT - was getting dark on the way to the ferry, but on Motorways and through town we made it in time without undue concerns.

I intended to do something this summer - but y'know - summer's for riding. With 3 1/2 bikes in the garage there's limited fettling time.

I did twiddle the adjusters as per handbook whilst in the IoM, but didn't really seem to move the beam that much. Dipped is just really faint........and full beam seems to throw a semi circular arc in front around the front wheel, light up road signs, but again not much strength for a solid pool of light out 20 to 30 yards.

Weird.....am I alone in this?
    Are they known for rubbishy lighting?

Not really attacked it in anger - poss' this weekend, so thought I'd ask here first for clues. Want to do the odd commute this winter (100 miles across Derbyshire - so decent visibility would be useful)

PS only bought it a few weeks before the TT so hadn't ridden in the dark prior to the trip.

2. The early Diavel headlight left a lot to be desired for night riding. Not sure if the later versions got any better nor do I know of a fix. Andy

3. I too have found this to be the case. I was recommended these to try before heading down the HID route. I haven't tried the bulb yet so can't say weather it is an improvement, it has to be better than the half a candle power that the original produces!! Combining the poor headlight and the ludicrously bright instruments cluster I wobbled home like a total novice on my first ride home after dark, having to use one hand to shield the cluster! New! PIAA Hyper Plus H7 Headlight Bulbs 4000K Blue-White Light H7 55W X 2 Duo Bo | eBay

4. Both me and my mate who has a MK1 Diavel are shoot scared of going out in the dark. The lights simply are not up to scratch. I have considered an HID conversion, but not taken the plunge yet. Something needs to be done though.

Stuart

5. It's a Ducati. It is designed by Italians for you to be seen on. It is therefore not expected for you to ride it at night because nobody can see you ;) Ducati design their headlights to look good, after that they tend to lose interest. Form above function is probably the mantra of Italian design ;) I very much doubt that any Ducati is test ridden at night, so you can't really expect the headlight to function well. The headlight on my M1100, M1100evo and SF848 have all been useless. They are just very poorly designed. I suspect the Diavel follows in the same tradition ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Not strictly true - the Multistrada S has tremendously good lights, but it is intended to be a touring bike rather than a cruiser.

7. When I've been caught out my 996R in the dark going through country lanes, I usually walk in front of it to guide it along by the light from my 'phone...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've been looking at these on you tube,about 35.00 for a pair over here, might be worth getting to improve on the stock bulbs

9. The 2015-17 DVT Multistrada 1200S has excellent lights. The 2010-14 pre-DVT Multistrada lights are rather poor, as are those of the non-S DVT.

10. yep, they are crap lights until Ducati updated to the LED which is better and you can convert the Gen 1 and 2 to the LED but it is expensive. I don't think anyone makes a LED replacement unit for the early Diavels. You could go all BMW and fit aux LED lights from places like touratech, not cheap and while they look crap on a BMW no one notices, but on a Diavel it will stand out and look....err crap

11. just picked up the thread again - have typically done nothing yet !! Been a busy winter. Maybe scout for a crashed Gen 2. Don't think bolt on lamps would look too good !!

thanks everyone for the tips

Do Not Sell My Personal Information