1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Heated Grips Stopped Working This Morning

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Twin4me, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Any suggestions before I call the dealer, glad I still have 2 weeks left on the extended warranty!

Just wondering if there is anything else I should get a claim in for!

2. Have you had a new pair of cylinder heads?

3. Mine stopped working the other day but yet to check the fuse. Hopefully that's all it is otherwise it will be going to the dealer.

4. Lol, that's a good point!!

5. Not Yet!
    And hopefully never...

6. Check the connector on the bachside of the dash if its still good in place. I had the same issue. After putting the connector in place the grips worked fine again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I had mine replaced a few weeks ago. I was advised then they had been revised and use a new P/N. Its seems a fairly common fault according to my dealer, so hopefully the part revision has now sorted it.

8. hows the grips now mate ?

9. Still not working, couldn't find a loose connection (and the dash tells me they are working), opened the fuse box and shut it again as I couldn't tell what did what!

Bloody cold hands on Friday night in all that rain....

I'll drop it into the dealers, I need to get the 600 mile service light turned off (after having new clocks) and I think the MOT is due soon as well

10. just had hot grips fitted to mine just as well because belgium looks like being cold hope we don't need them for italy , hope they can get yours going

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fues locations......doesn't help as there's no reference to the heated grips!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....must be a fuse somewhere? :shrug:

12. Thanks! That's what I thought when I opened the fuse box! I might get some spares and pull them all and see if I can find a blown one.

P&H have just told me they have a slot on the 28th May!

13. Did you check your battery is okay? If the power being supplied is too low it seems that the heated grips won't activate.

14. The heated grips is controlled and powered from the instrument panel, so that will be fuse #2 in the forward/left fusebox. But on this bike, I understand that the instrument panel is working..?

But it is mentioned that the instrument panel have been changed on this bike. Is the heated grips used and have worked after the change? Because the heated grips need to be enabled in the instrument panel. When new, the instrument panel come as default with heated grips disabled.

15. Thanks guys - Grips were working after the dash change, dash works fine, and the grips themselves had been replaced a few months before this. I suspect them have gone wrong, or there is a broken connection, it seems odd that both would stop working at the same time.

Battery is fine I think, they are not working during riding.

#15 Twin4me, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. My left one failed first , followed 30 minutes later by the right one.

17. +1 Took the dealer 10 days to figure out that the solution was.......change the grips!!

18. The grips are not fused, they come directly from the dash, witch is powered by fuse 2 in the front fuse box. If the dash was working which it sounds like it was then the #2 fuse is good. So probably a bad connection, bad grips or the dash is defective.

Attached Files:

19. I finally got my MTS back from the dealer on Wednesday. It had been in because the heated grips stopped working. After trying everything they could think of, they eventually cured the problem with a highly inventive solution - they replaced the grips!!

Anyway, as I rode south towards Brighton I instantly noticed that not only were my little handies toasty warm but wow, the bike really was flying along, as indicated by the rapid way the numbers on the digital speedo whizzed by. I also realised that they had done really extensive road-testing, as indicated by the fact that when the bike went in it had done 18,000 miles and when I collected it, it had done nearly 29,000.

Strange, I thought - speedo reading 1.609344 times faster than it should and the odometer reading 1.609344 more distance than the bike has actually done.

The mathematicians amongst you will have spotted the issue here.

Yes, the spanner bashers had disconnected the dash and then forgotten that Croydon is still in the UK. The dash was set to kilometres and litres...

• Like Like x 3
  20. Had the same problem as this with a 2012 MS 1200 I just bought. Was quoted £250 for the grips plus approx £200 labour plus vat. I did continuity test on grips. Both had no reading. I replaced grips with some oxford grips I had spare. Soldered them in to Ducati wiring and they work a treat through the dash controls. Very happy! Cost £0 and probably more reliable then the Ducati grips

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information