1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Heated Grips

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by michel couque, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Hi all.

I have had the heated grips changed once under warranty, now well out of warranty and not working again, i would like tomcheck the fuse first, but can anyone tellme where and which fuse it is .

As usaul many thanks in advance.

Best
    Michel

2. Hi Michel.

I had a similar issue myself which was caused by one grip being faulty.
    They need to work as a pair.

Have you tried checking continuity through the wiring?
    Easiest way to do this is to peel the rubber back from near where the wire enters the grip itself and you'll find two connections.
    Use a multi meter and see if you have continuity.

When you find out which side is causing the issue, let us know, perhaps someone on here will have one grip which works.

Good luck.!

3. If your twin spark (?) is the same as my 2012 1st generation, the grips are not separately fused. Relatively simple DIY to change but it's time consuming as you need to remove all the panels to take the petrol tank off to get to at least one of the connectors. It has been suggested to just cut the wires and make a connection nearer the handle bar but I took the time. Andy

4. Thanks guys. My bike has just come back from repairs, including new handlebars fitted. Now the heated grips are not working, I thoughtnit might be a simple case of check the fuse, but seems not. I have phoned the repairers and await their call back. Will be a good case to see how this is handled.

5. Bet it,s always the throttle side that fails due to the movement.

6. In this case i think it is related to the change of handlebars as all switches would be takenoff for this

7. Sounds logical.

8. Excuse the thread hijack, but has anyone fitted third party heated grips and been able to use the Ducati switch for them? I've found the latest OE Ducati heated grips to get no better than warm (I think they've been made like that as a result of a lot of warranty replacements for burning out) and the next time my grips burn out I'd fancy something more powerful and more robust.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I on't think you can link them to the switch Pete, I know if you fit them the dealer has to activate them for you.

10. Yes. Mine failed so I fitted Daytona grips to the original wiring. They suit me better as I found the originals too short, i.e. not wide enough, and lacking in diameter. These suit me better.
    They work with the original controller, Start button in my case

11. That's handy to know.!
    Did you splice the original connector plugs onto the Daytona wires.?

12. That's handy to know.!
    Did you splice the original connector plugs onto the Daytona wires.?

13. Those plugs from the old heated grip wires that is.

14. Yes, the original Ducati leads were cut and soldered to Daytona wires. Polarity no relevant, just connect them. I insulated with Heatshrink.
    I find them warmer than the originals, the Ohms reading was slightly different. I find Min setting fine most times.
    P

• Like Like x 2
  15. heated grips? What next? Silk under gloves? Pussies....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I’ve also read of another who soldered on some other branded grips when one of the Ducati ones failed.

17. I just ordered heated elements kit of flea bay and soldered them on cost 5 quid work fine

• Like Like x 1
  18. With colder days arriving already, I regret that I asked for Ducati HG to be fitted. They simply not hot enough. With the price of HG + fitting I should have bought the nicest pair of heated gloves and still have some money left.
    Used Heated gloves for 4 years with my R1 and they are fantastic. Why on earth I've got rid of them, selling with the bike???? Winter sadness makes me do stupid things, gosh! :pensive:
    With element heating warranty for life, they are bullet proof!

19. Which gloves did you use?

20. Are you reading this @broke ?? Need I say it ?? o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information