1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, I'm Thinking Of Buying One..........

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by oldfart, Nov 28, 2020.

1. For once i've decided to do things in the correct order, i.e. join forum and ask questions before buying something i might later regret!

I'm not exactly young but don't really consider myself too old either, anyway i was attracted by a 748 for sale locally, seemed a reasonable deal but on closer inspection wasn't all it seemed, then the Internet research kicked it. Seems good 748 are rare and expensive and can be money pits?
    so I looked at 749's but think they are a bit Marmite and personally i don't like the looks , probably guess where this is going......... 848's.

Think they look amazing but because of Covid it isn't possible to go and physically sit on one, I've sat on then 748 and that felt ok ish (i'm only 5'6") how much different is the 848 ?(notice its quite a bit lighter which is good)
    I'm thinking if i don't have a Ducati now i'm probably not going to, ( over the years i've had Honda's , Kawasaki's Yamaha' Suzuki's ) so given how things are at moment and the amount of interest banks are giving (0,1% on my ISA!!!) a nice motorbike in the garage would look better and give me something to look forward to come Sunshine next Spring/Summer. (provided we can still go out)
    So am i daft to consider this??? Now looking at 848 EVO's (beautiful things} in my opinion the best of the options??
    Help...............

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome. I’m 5’6” and had the 848 EC SE. I had to have the suspension looked at by Kais to reduce the seat height by a couple of inches. They also adjusted the side stand to suit.

But once it was sorted by God was it a weapon! Having previously just owned/ridden JIL4’s (I chopped in an R1 for the 848) it took three weeks of riding it every day to get used to the ergonomics, as it is proper “head down, arse up” in comparison to Jap bikes, and it puts a lot of pressure on your wrists. But you do get used to it, and it’s phenomenal. The performance and handling are superb! I loved mine.

If and when you can get a test ride make the most of it :)

3. Good choice O.F., only thing I would comment on as you haven't said, is it might not have the smooth delivery you are used to at trickling speeds unless you have had twins (jtf) and like them already.

4. Welcome to the forum

5. welcome oldfart'

6. I have a 748 and a 1098. The 748 is more of a stretch and more head down arse up than the 848/1098's
    748 seems taller at the seat too

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ride height isn’t adjustable as standard but your can swap in the 1098 adjuster and lower it. It’s not massively high anyway, I’d say it’s more important to have a longer upper body as it can be a bit of a stretch forward. Great bikes though, had a 749 before and an 848 now and it’s a massive improvement.

8. Good friend of mine spent a week with me in Italy on his 848 SE thing. I had the Mutley.
    He rated it very highly. He was also short:D

C5D6F132-0C45-4A3C-B9FA-6DD22EB24A22.jpeg

B1A38FAE-4FC6-43A3-8D56-D84D211737DE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Welcome.

848 easier to ride, far more power and torque and more comfortable, less maintenance needs and risks than 748 imo (and experience). They normally come with a fixed height adjustment bar, but easy to find another either aftermarket or 1098 one fits.

re height, it’s more inside leg really. I’m 5’8 (on a good day :) ) and am one footed on an 848 because I have only 27 inch inseam. Plus I have legs like trunks....if you’re 5’6 and slim I’d imagine you’d be one solid foot or tip toes with both.

great bikes, especially good on the road.

10. Afternoon oldfart no matter what Duc you end up buying you won't be disappointed. Welcome to the forum :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Go and test ride a couple, then you'll know, it's all very personal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thanks for all replies, looks as if you've managed to confirm what i'd hoped, that an 848 isn't that stupid an idea after all.
    I'm slim so according to Bradders i should be able cope with seat height ok.
    Now the questions regarding the best choice of 848, spend bit more get an EVO? Low miles better? Service history absolute must ? Extras (loving the carbon Termi's) What does go wrong?

13. Ime go evo, had them both and it’s ever so slightly better. Decent upgrades: height bar, steering damper, ohlins shock, akro cans over termis;) monobloc calipers from 1098s

14. I’d definitely say get an Evo. More power, more reliable than the earlier models too. I’ve got the EC SE and it’s not really worth the extra for bigger brakes (not really needed as standard are pretty good), traction control and quickshifter. It looks nice though!

15. Welcome Oldfart

I currently have a 2008 848 and they are a great bike I’d say go for it and if you can an Evo version!
    I think there is one for sale on here it’s a one owner bike and it looks like a beauty! Don’t know the seller I just remember admiring it, good luck with the search:upyeah:
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/848-evo-for-sale.82375/

16. Welcome along

17. Imo I’d avoid adding a QS on these engines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Its factory fitted on the Corse SE, but it’s not the best. Doesn’t like 1st to 2nd at all. I turn it off most of the time. Why do you say avoid it? Does it damage the engine?

• Like Like x 1
  19. No direct personal experience as I have seen plenty of that age (more 1098 tbf) eat a gearbox early when QS used around Ducati riding friends and acquaintances so never fitted one. But have had on Gixers, BMW’s with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Just buy an 748 if you like it. They are not rare, money pit? Sure if you buy a lemon and bring it to a dealer for repairs. I try to sell a healthy 748 engine for a couple of hundred bucks and nobody wants it so they are not failing as many as internet is telling you...

I would go for it, they are pretty and fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information