1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! Looking For Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Paula, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hi There.
    I ride an pretty knackered Vespa 50 around London to and from work (16 miles round trip).
    It's not long for this world and when it eventually dies i'm toying with the idea of a Monster 600 as a replacement (always wanted one).
    There seems to be a steady stream of them on ebay for around the £2000 mark and i'm tempted. I used to ride a Suzuki X7 and an RD250 in my youth, but since then it's been scooters. It just made sense in London really.
    I'm pretty mechanically minded as a classic car owner (Triumph Vitesse) so i'm up for maintaining it myself, I just wanted to check with you lot if it's a terrible idea as a daily commuter and if there's things to look out for when viewing.
    Apologies if this is a common thread.
    Thanks in advance!
    Paula
    48 and a half.
    London.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome dudette :cool::upyeah:

3. Thank you very much!

4. Welcome David

5. Who?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Welcome tomboy Paula :) :upyeah:

7. The M600 is a great bike, light and nimble and there are some great simple upgrades to improve it - I did a twin disk conversion which makes it almost overbraked. Running costs are low, over 55mpg mostly, cheap insurance, low tax. Maintenance is simple, shims seem to stay in tolerance for tens of thousands of miles - I only had to do 2 at more than 20k. Very good value as they are not very popular now. Go for a 2000 or later to get the newer forks, or a later 620 if you want injection. I had my 600 for seven years, only just traded for a 1000S. IMG_20180408_125051-EFFECTS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amazing.
    Thank you!
    That's exactly what i needed to hear. Now i just need the scooter to die! (bet it lasts years now)
    Is the sign of warn shims excess smoke?

9. Are you an Aries chick :bucktooth:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Monster 600 would be perfect
    Make sure it’s red and don’t forget your bins :)

Welcome into the mad house

• Like Like x 2

11. I don't have the space for 2 and i don't want to leave one out in the rain. That one does look good though. There is quite a few. Looks like i'll be spoilt for choice!
    Better start saving up.
    Oh and i need to see if it will go through the gate! I think it will with a wiggle of the bars.

IMG_2117.jpeg

12. Wiggle :bucktooth:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Hi and welcome.
    Monster 696 or 796 are pretty good too. Slightly newer and possibly easier to find a low miles well maintained one.
    I have an M1100S and it is great around town and for blatting about.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ok. Noted.
    Thanks!

15. Welcome moped rider;):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Don't really know, having only had them adjusted when slightly out of tolerance, but I'm sure a more technical person here can advise for when you are looking at one. Probably any excessive noise/smoke would be a warning sign! Good luck with your search, I loved my 600.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Got to be red!

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information