1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, Possible Future 1200 Multistrada Owner!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Bigjimknickers, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Hi all
    I’ve been researching an upgrade for my 04 955i tiger, I came to the decision a multistrada 1200 is the one, I nearly bought a 1200s in September but finances stopped me, now I’m in the closing stages of a 2010 multi s with panniers & topbox, 28k & a years mot, totally stock.
    Any thoughts on this age? Mileage?
    Thanks!
    Jim.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good choice, I have a 2016 with 19K and up to now all good. As with anything mechanical, things can and will go wrong. All you can do is make sure the services have been/are carried out. Follow this forum for enlightened advice and tips from seasoned Ducati owners.

Job done, Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If it is on 28K, its coming up for its Desmo service (every 15K or 5 years) and they run around a £grand at a Ducati dealer. Make sure you allow for that when buying it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mileage on bikes is an interesting subject. Personally, if all the normal checks that you would do on an engine are OK, then I wouldn't be bothered.

It fascinates me that designers, and engineers, spend hours ensuring that an engine can last at least 100,000 miles, only for many people to do less than 12,000 for the entire life of the bike! Surely, they come to the conclusion that they are wasting their time? They could just design engines to last 20k miles - but I hope that they don't!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Welcome to the forum. The bike will need a Desmo major service at 30000 miles so you really need to push the dealer for that to be done in the price. If it’s private, you need to knock at least £1000 off the asking price as that service is VERY expensive, even if it’s done at an independent. Some 2010 models had issues but given this one has reached that mileage, you’ll probably only find the fuel sender is the only likely problem. That one component has a bad reputation. Hope you enjoy. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. What would an Indy roughly charge for a 30k desmo service ?

7. This is probably your nearest independent, https://www.pgperformance.co.uk and is recommended by quite a few on this forum. He's ex main dealer so knows his onions. Give him a call. Andy

8. You need to budget for around £1000

9. IMHO I love the first edition of the MTS1200S
    It is the model that can have the most tuning and having it custom mapped will transform the low end running ....
    Before and After was massive on mine.
    Make sure the Exhaust value is removed or at least jammed open.

#9 AirCon, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I’ve had a quote for the desmo for £768inc vat from MD Racing, very close to me. Not too bad but I’ll obviously mention it to the dealer.

11. Welcome Dave

12. That's a good price.
    I used to use Mike all the time, right from when he worked out of a shed, but not anymore.
    I think his work is great, but perhaps not everyone who works for him.

13. Yep that’s the one

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’ve been looking since September & £5700 is a great price for 28k for an S with full luggage, I nearly paid 6k for a non S no luggage in September & it was questionable condition.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I sold very fine and sorted S model with some lovely toys (fully remapped, decat / zorst) on it for £5800 back in June 2015.
    I'm genuinely surprised at the prices.

16. Welcome Jim :):upyeah:

if they do the service make sure you get evidence of the shim data, I know of a bike recently that was supposed to come serviced including shims, nothing had been done and the oil filter was seized on o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. How rude of me.... Welcome to the forum.
    Become a member and subscribe... you get a Halfords trade discount card (eventually) and a lovely red banner under your avatar.
    I'm a big Mutley fan, probably the biggest on here :).... hence the Avatar....
    safe_image.gif

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information