1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet Headphones

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by mike willis, Jun 30, 2021.

1. I'm looking for a decent set of headphones, mainly for satnav use and music, not worried about phone use or communication with others.
    I would trust your judgement rather than reviews, any ideas?
    Not so worried about cost, more about getting the right thing, thanks in advance.

2. Got $2,000 spare?

https://pro.ultimateears.com/collections/pro

My ultimate ear pro 3 cost £670 & are amazing. However I've broken cheaper kit of their range so for me I've learnt too have a garment disrobing system when using this level of luxury.

3. The best performing headphones I have are a pair of Panasonic RP-HJE100E-K’s that I made into custom moulded in-ear monitors using a 2 part silicone kit that I got off eBay. Not only can I listen to music crystal clear, they also act as really good earplugs. Plus, because they are moulded to my ear they do not fall out.

70BF75CF-AA34-46D2-B152-590057B77C04.jpeg

#3 chrisw, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  4. If you're set on headphones as above I'd go with custom In Ear Monitors (IEMs) (Cosmic Ears are worth a look) normal earbuds will protrude too much/fall out

Having used IEMs I'd say that some of the bike specific stuff like Cardo or Sena are well worth a look as they've got Bluetooth, controls you can use with gloves and generally need less faffing.

I've got a Sena 10u in a GT Air and it's really good with bar mounted controls.

5. I have the same, old tech but it does all I need. Good thing as far as I'm concerned is that it's all within the shell of the helmet. Prevents bits getting knocked off or causing extra wind noise.

Use it for sat nav, rider to pillion and rider to rider over about1km. No longer bother with the handlebar controller, can do all I need with the two buttons just inside the visor of my GT Air.

6. Currently using Interphone Shape. Great battery life, good connection, good volume. Reasonable price.
    previously had a very basic Senna. batteries were very poor and did not last a days riding on tour.
    Anything with wires going in to ears instead of wires in helmet a none starter IMO.

7. Are they on wires or bluetooth

8. They are on wires which it would seem with the expensive type are detachable. Unlike mine which are braided kevlar.

9. I had some years ago that were fitted inside the helmet which unplugged when not needed.
    Not bad but not brilliant, quite taken by the in ear option though.
    I use my phone as a satnav and for music, plugged into the bike power and wires to the ears, simple and effective.

10. I've just ordered some ear buds, cheap enough to experiment with.
    Thanks for all your advice.

11. I tried ear buds, they would fall out when trying to put my helmet on, and push into my ears if I managed to get my helmet on and become quite painful after a while

12. Neotec II and Sena headphone....

13. Thanks, I'm going to try the silicone to stop that

Do Not Sell My Personal Information