1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Broken Pinch Bolt On The Fork Leg! What To Do.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Richie T, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Hey Guys coming close to finishing my 1199 s. :) 95 % completed then my worst nightmare happened!! Tightening one the pinch bolts with the torque wrench, then snap the head clean off and the rest is still in the fork leg. Hands on my face after getting both wheels on the fork.

Any advice you guys can give me? Thinking of drilling it out with a tungsten bit and hoping for the best.

Just been told pinch bolts know as stretch bolts need to be replace as i found out after, specially the tiny ducati ones.

2. an easy out?

• Like Like x 1
  3. if you do go for this option, perhaps squirt penetrating fluid on the bolt a while before attempting to give you the best odds.

4. pic may help. Feel your pain.

5. OK, thanks for that... i look it up.:thumbsup:

6. Mate this sucks... just wanna ride the thing and this happen..

7. There's no strain on what's left of the bolt so try and extract it however you can... Tap it gently with a punch in the right direction to see if it moves, superglue something to it so you can turn it out, or spin a drill bit on it clockwise from behind (if you have access) thin needle nose pliers in the gap between the lowers? Walk away from it when needed then go back to it after a beer and be patient ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. basically you pilot a hole in the bolt slightly smaller than the easy out you are using ( a guide for the exact size bit probably comes with kit) and then the easy out is tapped into the pilot hole anti clock wise till it bites and futher turning withdraws bolt. The hard part is drilling the pilot hole.
    I'd I buy a good quality set as I've snapped one before. Sorry I can't recommend a brand as it was years ago I last used one and it was borrowed but did work.
    others here will help with more info or alternatives I'm sure

9. 20170125_213710#1.jpg

10. 20170125_215241.jpg

11. Oh, that looks awkward.

Can we get a side view? See anything from on top or is it blanked off?

12. wow! what do you have the wrench set to, rear wheel torque?! Can you somehow drill it out from the back?

13. As has been mentioned the head shearing off has relieved all the tension, and having just been put in the remaining threaded part shouldn't be too tight or stuck, unless it's bottomed out somehow and that's what caused it to shear off.

A screw extractor is ideal for this job, the awkward bit is getting a drill bit down the centre of what's left.
    I'd suggest a trip to a good tool supplier for a decent set, and a Cobalt tipped or similar drill bit, don't be tempted to use an HSS jobber bit. Take it easy, and if nothing else is available as cutting fluid at least spray some WD40 on it.

An alternative solution is something I've not used in years as I lost mine, a left hand drill bit. It unwinds the bolt as you drill, having reversed your drill of course.
    Not seen one in a few years though.

Good luck

Nasher

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I bought some left had drill bits for just this thing. They worked a treat as long as the bolt isn't bottomed out in the casting. As soon as the drill started to drill into the bolt, it spun out.

It looks too deep to do the hole punch thing obviously, but a stud extractor may work. The LHS drill will stop you driving the remaining part of the bolt into the casting.

If you've used Loctite on the fastener, a bit of heat will also help you in needing less torque to remove the bolt.

#18 Robarano, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  15. Ha, you must have typed that slightly quicker than me @Nasher :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information