1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Help - Fairing Repair

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Flip848, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Bin stupid :-/ Forgot to mount the two quickreleases at the bottom en went for a testride. Speed, wind and up comes the richt fairing :-(
    So now there is a small crack in the top right fairing, at the venthole.

Can I repair this? Did someone tried this before? How? Heat/melt it back together?
    The paint is no issue, I will repaint the whole bike in the winter anyway.

Thx

2. I have repaired a number of fairings using plastic welding etc. and so far 99% have succeeded unless they have been under too much stress etc. and then the odd hairline crack has occurred later on. This has been related to the older non slab sided panels in the 748-9** series bikes and has affected the top side panels, I had one where the strain and vibration just could not be "dialled" out.

Can you post a photo and then i might be able to give you my take, if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Here you go, this will take care of your problem. The instructional vid has appalling music...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. plastic welding, think done with a hot wire seen the results but not sure how,ring in motorcycle industry, not sure about your glues? ask at a repair shop? you can fill and paint? Interesting repair system? didnt know that, will try myself
    thanks

5. Plastic welding is done with a heat gun and a suitable filler rod. I bought a kit from Sealy to do mine, not cheap but it works as above. A small amount of filler is needed usually after the repair and then the usual steps to repaint.

The good part about plastic welding is you can let patches into panels if you have holes caused in an accident etc. Again I did this with a few panels with perfect results.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Hmm it doesn't hold with special glue. The position of the crack is on a stressfull place, near a quickrelease. See pic. Guess pladtic welding/repairing and repainting will be neccesery :-/

IMG_20170911_112947.jpg

7. If you just want it fixed/usable then QBond may work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You could try a thin layer\s of fibreglass tissue on the back of the area after it has been welded. This could help to relieve the flexing and provide some extra strength.

If you use tissue you should find that this can be rubbed down until flat and then feathered into the rest of the panel. That should prove a little less detectable once painted over.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Did you try Supafix? It works!

10. Plus one for Supafix, very good gear but as you say it is in a high stress high visibility area and while it will be more costly if it was mine I would consider a professional plastic weld repair. You could always go down the Supafix route first and see how you get on before you commit to something more expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hi. I didn't try the Supafix yet. I have slightly damaged fairings of a 748 / 916 lying around and plan to refurbish these during wintertime. Maybe it's a good idea to do the 998 fairing with thes parts. Will be a first realy repair for me but we'll see how it turns out ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Hi. I didn't try the Supafix yet. I have slightly damaged fairings of a 748 / 916 lying around and plan to refurbish these during wintertime. Maybe it's a good idea to do the 998 fairing with thes parts. I will have to repair it anyway, maybe it's better to do it right. Will be a first realy repair for me but we'll see how it turns out ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information