1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Help In Identifying This Part

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by OldBadger, Jul 15, 2019.

1. As per title.
    Background, went out on bike and as I left house the bike did not want to turn for a second.
    Was only going about 5mph.
    Never though much more till I got back and the attached photos (part) was in drive.
    Cannot see where on the bike it would have come from though.

Anybody got any clue.

Thanks.

A290E8BE-19A3-4988-AAC2-F53B918F2842.jpeg

06B60102-DD5A-4A2D-B8FF-48AEF58FB4F6.jpeg

39245869-C080-4320-B6E1-E11B0E4DC205.jpeg

2. Its from under the front nose cone, just below the bottom fork clamps, not fully sure what it's for, believe it's to help with cooling

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks very much.
    That makes sense as for a second the bike would not turn properly. Fairly fortunate I was only doing 5 mph.

4. I think this part goes up and down based on air speed through the fairing - there is one on the 1299R. Not sure if its for cooling, or air intact? - My theory is that it may transfer the air from one to the other at speed to allow more air in the intact, so more power as the bike has enough for cooling....but it could just be a flap :)

5. Thanks, had a look this morning and knowing where is comes from I can see it now. Just wasn’t 100% sure it was from my bike last night :)

Away to book it in shortly.

Ta

#5 OldBadger, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. I think these flaps reduce the amount of air blast coming up through the fork yokes and just help generally with air management.

The Ducati logo is a bit of a giveaway it’s off your bike :bucktooth::D
    From the engraving, it was made in March 2018 and the material is 30% glass filled polypropylene , I used to work in the plastics moulding/ manufacturing industry until I retired last November thank fcuk!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Brilliant, I was looking at those markings yesterday before It was confirmed What it was but didn’t have the skill to make any assessment :)

I was fairly sure it was from my bike (the Ducati bit was a clue as you say) bit I just couldn’t work out from where and there was always a chance it was somebody elses I suppose.

Going in to Ducati next week for that and the fuel spray recall.

Still absolutely adore the bike though - what a machine.

8. These flaps don't operate using airflow but are designed to aid airflow. They are hinged on their trailing edges with a spring that keeps them in a horizontal position to improve and direct airflow across the radiator core. As you turn the steering, the plastic central panel that bolts to the lower triple clamp has a semi-circular shaped edge that pushes each flap down against the spring so as not to impede steering, as you turn the steering the other way the flap returns to its normal horizontal position and the opposite flap is moved down. With the steering set straight ahead, both flaps are horizontal. Unfortunately it looks as if the flap in question on your bike has somehow ridden above the central plastic panel and was forced up not down when you turned your steering which caused it to snap from its mounting. If the mounting points for the spring/hinge have also broken off you will need a complete new radiator shroud as these are part of that moulding. However if not, you might be lucky and get away with just bending the hinge pin straight again and refitting the flap. Just make sure the flap sits UNDER the central plastic panel on the fork lower triple clamps and look down from above your fork legs whilst turning the steering, to check the flaps are operating as expected.

9. Thanks very much for taking the time to provide a detailed explanation (much appreciated).

It has now been fixed under warranty, actually both sides were missing from my bike which is I suppose why it was not obvious to me where they came from. The guy in the dealers showed me how they work after fitting so all good now.

Thanks again.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information