1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me 'invest' 5k

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by RC1, Sep 8, 2018.

1. So having reluctantly been convinced not to blow an 8k toy budget on a bike but instead to spend 5k on a bike and the rest on track days, instruction, mods etc.. i am now looking for a cheaper track hack thats more road biased in the first instance but can be modded as my crap skill becomes less crap...

here are the contenders

- 848 (not white)

having only ever ridden my current banana and a yzf r6, im not feeling ready for a litre bikes and it must be a ducati

it should be fairly standard and below 15k miles and have good provenance and not have been thrashed to an inch of its life...

my plan is to put road miles on it as well as track miles so nothing to pure track focused.. turning a hardcore track hack into a hybrid road and track bike is not the plan. its more having a road bike that i can then gradually turn into something that makes me a track legend over time

this is a serious post just so you know...

You won’t get anything other than an 848 for that, and even that won’t be what you describe.

Id seriously look at a gixer 1000. My k5 was as close to riding a twin as you could get, as it had so much mid range torque

Or Big Bang r1

i know its a tough one but i reckon the market is slowing down.. this not bad save for the colour

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-8...961182?hash=item33eba7979e:g:BekAAOSw0lVbDTnL

the k5 would be the sensible choice but i am craving another ducati. a man must have more than 1.

It’s a track bike. Change the fairings anyway. Wouldn’t let your prejudice turn off a good bike: it’s the same underneath ;)

maybe worth a call to this chap... 998 with 12k miles and samco hoses

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-9...470418?hash=item2cda350b52:g:PwMAAOSwHzdbhFpE

stop being so sensible and rationale!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-999-Mono/153164690570?hash=item23a953b48a:g:HPcAAOSwik9bgCiu

Not sure it will go for your budget tho

I agree with bradders,, £5k is small change you need to up the monies my friend for those particular models:thinkingface:

Thread moved

or this little beastie....

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ducati-996/19091505

My mate raced his 996. Never had an issue, it was a bip. It’s the only one I know that never had a problem lol

848. Then 998. I would think the 996 would prove a bit fragile, and getting cheap parts might be a bit problematical.

I raced my 996bp in National Endurance. It blew up.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153164744204

Get a carby 900ss...

You have to be a very good rider to hold your own in fast group, even inters at times, on something that weighs 180 kilos and and barely 75hp.

I recently picked up a 749 for track use... not tracked it yet but have riden it on the Rd and had a 749 in the past. I think it will be a wicked track bike and you can get em pretty cheap

86hp ain't they? Alot of fun though and bragging rights when giving away so many ponys...

No doubt likely proper fun, and if anything like the carby 600 bullet proof engine (although electrics are as dodgy as fook)

Had the rectifier prob on this latest 900 but over 3 of em and around 30k all weather miles nothing else. That said mine has started making a strange noise so no riding it till checked out.
    Still fantastic bikes though for old school tech. Think the lack of bhp let's you crank em wide open sooner or something as I've surprised many out of the corners... would love one for a track bike.. only got the 49 as it was helping a mate out ..

Who ya talking to in this post then? o_O

This seems to be a duplicate thread..... somehow?

Confused me

Keh? :eyes:

#1 RC1, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  2. alli 888 tank, allí swingarm I think is standard, lights and heavy stuff removed, light battery and you can get it close to 150 kilos with 2l fuel

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you're going to track it then you want something appropriate for the tracks you'll be riding and with a ton of eBay / Chinese bits on tap? A Ducati possibly doesn't fit the bill there.

If I had to narrow my search for a track bike to Ducati only then I'd be tempted by something cheap, so injected Supersport or Monster would be high on my list. Living near Cadwell means that'd be where it'd be going and it's not a massive track. If Donnington or Silverstone was going to be where I was riding I don't know what I'd go for. GSXR probably as the bits are everywhere and cost buttons.

4. Doesn't exactly fit the bill but I know someone who'll be looking to get shut of an ex Tri Options 848 soon, obviously it has been raced & used as a track bike but the motors been looked after and it's quick :p

5. Perfect bike

6. 848 seem to the bargain Ducati at the moment?

7. Immaculate 848 7000miles, 2007 Red, big service just done..... West London.... let me know if interested. .... £6500

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. I'm glad I missed you today!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Why?

10. Because I really need a van but have zero restraint...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Could I fit roof racks and a tow bar to an 848?

12. Buzz me tomorrow. My neighbour is selling his van.....

13. And I've a special mates rates on the 848..... not Elise mates rates, real discount.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. would be a much better bike than i am a rider plus it needs to be road legal

15. will do cheers for heads up

16. i reckon in a few months ill get change from a 848 with my budget given where prices seem to be moving?

17. you wouldnt need to given how slow i ride. id carry them for you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information