1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With 1098s Slipper Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Simon burrell, May 9, 2015.

1. Hi
    I have an 07 1098s Tricolore with a 6 spring slipper clutch on it. I need a new basket and plates. Is the basket the same size as the non slipper clutch and is the stack height the same with regards to the plates? I've been looking on speedycom.co.uk and see they have a couple of sets:-
    New EVR housing clutch kit for Ducati ,replaces the original one and all aftermarket models present on trade at the moment. This basket kit will distribute the force with greater effect and thus give a superior clutch feel.
    Clutch plates, Z12 basket + set plate sintered kit: CDU-220KS-Z12 Basket +set plate kit Ducati Slipper clutch models (set plate mm. 36,5)
    Clutch plates, Z12 basket + set plate sintered kit: CDU-211KS-Z12 Basket +set plate kit 1098/S-Hypermotard 1100/S-08/09(set plate mm. 39)

Both of these are available with a z48 basket as well.
    Forgive my ignorance but I am totally lost! I have also looked at EBay and found aluminium clutch baskets which say they fit my bike but doesn't mention the slipper clutch bit. Same with full set of plates.
    Any help or direction would be much appreciated.
    Simon

2. The basket and the plates are same as oem. The stack height/order are source of much hue and cry!
    IMHO only it's best to load the new plates back on in the order they came off (friction plate in first!) then check the stack top to hub top height and adjust up/down by using thinner/fatter steel plates.
    I honestly can't recall the exact measurement, think it's ~4mm.

You'll get all sorts of info re dished plates here and there, but, and again in my experience, I've never found they made any difference whether in/out back/forth!

3. Thanks Nelson. I'm having so much trouble getting any info on what to buy. Has anyone used NGR titanium basket?
    Some say evr basket won't work with corse slipper clutch and others have told me the baskets are all the same?
    Any good hints where to buy a basket and plates that will fit and work with existing hub?
    All help appreciated!

4. Is the EVR basket the 48 tooth one? In which case you need to leave that one alone, unless you want to buy the matching plates. £££! Or unless that's what you already have.
    In my experience the baskets are interchangeable, with the exception on the 48T variants.
    I would be looking at the following std items...
    Basket...Ducati 1098 1098S 1098R AMA Clutch Basket, fits most dry clutch. | eBay

Plates..
    NEWFREN F.1535 DISCHI FRIZIONE PZ.8 AD ALTE PRESTAZIONI PER DUCATI 1098 2007 | eBay

Your choices may be different to mine, depending on your attitude to oem parts.
    Anyone else is welcome to chime in and tell me I'm talking rubbish!

PS. Don't sue me if I'm wrong! :Muted:

5. Why did my DP slipper come with a basket then?

6. Good question.
    I notice some kits come with a basket and some don't. Maybe it's a good idea to fit a new one?
    I defo have fitted slippers and retained/reused the oem basket.
    IIRC the STM 6 post uses a different spacer depending on whether you use the original basket or the stm one.
    Maybe @nelly and shed some light?

7. That was my thought actually.

8. I've never come across any problems with the compatibility of STM, or any other basket being a problem. Probably fitted most combo's over the years now. A few years back I had my hands on a good few STM 48T basket/plate kits and they went in all sorts of bikes with no issues.
    Some kits come with a new basket/plates "just because". Sigma, for instance, offer the complete kits or just the drum assy. If the basket and plates are ok, then it works out more cost effective.
    The important thing with fitting the slipper drum is that the spacer over the gearbox shaft is replaced with the top hat type. There's a dished washer goes on then followed by the drum.
    Stack heights have been done to death. I always set them up measuring how much drum is sticking out past the last plate. 4.5mm is the target I aim for.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ^werd...:cool:

10. Have ordered new basket and plates. Also ordered a new pressure plate as mine appeared to be a little warped. One Ducati shop told me I couldn't get the flat pressure plate as they only came as part of a kit. I called another shop and they said yes no problem and I'm eargerly awaiting its arrival! Hopefully all be sorted soon. Come on parts...the weather is getting good!
    Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate the tips and advice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I know this is an old thread. I have an STM clutch but experience no slip. How can I ID the slipper assembly with out a tear down. Could a slipper lock up from lack of maintenance? 13k miles bike new to me...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information