1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With My First Sports Ducati For 15 Years............

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Red Steve/Yellow Dave, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Good morning all.

I appreciate asking a question like this is always going to attract a multitude of replies depending on the preference of the respondent, however I guess that's what a forum was intended for :)

Bit of background...I'm 52 and used to own a 748 in the early naughties, before selling her to fund a new ST3 as my wife caught the biking bug and we wanted to do more riding together. I still own the ST3 having bought her in Sept. 2004 and we've toured extensively all over Europe on her as well as weekend trips in the UK etc.

Recently a good friend of mine of the same age passed his full bike test and has purchased a brand new Monster 797. This has led me to look at buying a sportier Ducati to complement my ST3 which I won't sell. I'm not a fan of naked bikes so have rules out the Monster.

Budget wise I've not £9k to £9.5k and don't want to use finance, which leaves me looking at a used bike. The new SuperSport looks ok, but it's a little outside my budget at the moment and in fairness if I'm buying something sportier I may as well go the whole hog and look at a dedicated sports bike.

I've had a trawl of the web and there are 3 candidates currently on the list although these can be added to or amended as I don't intend to commit to a purchase until after Christmas. Anyway these are 3 bikes I've found all within my budget, but not having ridden any of them I'd like your thoughts:

899 Panigale. 2015, 15 reg. 1 owner, 7600 miles £9495 from a Honda main dealer.

1199 Panigale. Unsure how many owners. 2013, 16000 miles FSH by WM Snell (Ducati main dealer). Has 6 service stamps in the book. Up at £9395 from a used bike dealer.

1198"S" 2009 58 reg. 12500 miles. FSH from a Ducati main dealer. Loads of paperwork, MOT's etc.Lots of carbon bits and bobs, full Termi system & ecu. Last MOT'd in July this year, and just had the major service including belts and clearances Up at £8995.

Whatever I buy is only going to see good weather use. I have my ST3 for Winter riding. It will be garaged and essentially will see limited(ish) solo riding.

All thoughts, views etc appreciated. I'm not adverse at considering something else buy really don't want anything too old so a 748/996/998 etc would be discounted. However I've not ruled out a nice 749/999/848

Thanks in anticipation,
    Steve.

#1 Red Steve/Yellow Dave, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hi, I'm not going to offer advice on your choice of model (I own a MultiStrada) but I can wholeheartedly vouch for WM Snell as a dealership.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. No contest whatsoever, 1198S every time. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Welcome Touring Steve :)

1198S is a great bike. In the long term, will probably have the best residuals of the 3.

#4 Robarano, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. 1198S

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. At risk of being boring, 1198S...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

8. Thanks Bob, I was considering changing my ST3 for a Multistrada but my wife doesn't like the look of them, so that killed that idea :) I'm surprised that the other replies so far are 100% in favour of the oldest and lowest costing bike on my list. To be honest from purely an aesthetic angle this is my choice, but I didn't know if the later model Panigales were a significant improvement? Appreciate if any of you guys who have for for the 1198s could elaborate a little more? Cheers,
    Steve.

9. 1198S or SP

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1299 would be worth a look but of those you've mentioned nothing will match an 1198

11. 1198 was the last of the framed generation as the 1199 went to a stressed member airbox to mount the headstock from. For some, me included, the 1198 has a more flexible and compliant feel than the more rigid 1199. The 1198 was also the last bike to have the 916/748/99*/1098 style under seat exhausts which again for some, me included, looks more Ducati. The base 1199 doesn't have Ohlins suspension, it wasn't until the 1199S you get electronic stuff. By the time the 1198S came along, it was a very sorted bike. What's not to like ? Andy

#11 Android853sp, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. As per every other response so far... 1198 is the way to go if you want just one special bike for summer use.

Looks like this could be an easier decision than you first thought :)

I have both an 1198 and 1199, I bought the 1198 first and the 1199 two years later. After owning the 1198 for a year I test rode a Panigale for a couple of days whilst mine was in getting serviced and although I liked it and was impressed with it as a bike, the memory of riding it fluttered away in to the background after being back on my 1198 for the ride back home...

From that point forward I always fancied a Panigale in the garage but knew that I could never buy one to replace the 1198, it would have to be a stable mate for the 1198.

The 1198 is a total animal of a bike which will reward you when you stretch it's legs and 'get it right' and 'Scare the s**t' out of you when you get a bit too confident and enthusiastic with it. One moment you will love it, the next you will feel like it want's to spit you of in to a ditch with your hair on fire!

Another plus for the 1198 is prices seem to have bottomed out and been steady over the past 18 months or so, so you shouldn't take a bath on depreciation either ;)

When looking for an 1198, I purposely bought a base model too as they don't have any of the fancy electronic rider aids...

Couple of Photo's below for you :upyeah:

IMG_20171006_154542.jpg

IMG_20170928_123401.jpg
    HTH.

• Like Like x 5
  13. I love my 899. Just been out on it now. And every time I’m like ‘this is something else’.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thought the 1198S was non electronic Ohlins. Andy

15. 1198S FOR SURE

16. 1198 will out-grunt an 1199, guess it depends on what the OP's priorities are.

1199 will be an easier ride with more safety equipment built in, 1198 will be faster and more raw.

17. i personally prefer the 1198 base model. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. His is a base Andy. :motorcycleduc:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. He said he bought the base because it was not electronic. I thought both the Base AND the S weren't electronic. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information