1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Here We Go Again ... A 749 Dark?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dremmel, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Ok, so I lost out on the 2016 Panigale R, I'm over that ……… nearly.

Then up pops this. Background: my garage is a 1098S owned from new and a 748R being refurbished. (and I am no silver spoon job, I drive a 1999 Hyundai hatch, got a mortgage , kids, I just scrimp and save for my bikes). I think the working class kid in me jealous of other kids with better stuff makes me feel guilty when I say I own this and this :thinkingface:

Back to the bike, being a base model it doesn't really fit with what I thought I would collect, but there is something about the Dark. It was given to son by father as a reconciliation attempt - son wants nothing to do with it, has young family etc and not ridden it - just wants to convert to cash.

15000 miles, MY2006, asking 3 large negotiable. Probably get it for 2700. Said to run perfectly, I will do due diligence.

Opinions? I know how subjective these things are. It just seems (if all is well like a bargain to me). Holding me back is, amongst other things (her indoors, which she rarely is) and whether I should wait for (again) a more up-spec version.

Dark1.jpg Dark2.jpg Dark3.jpg

2. Buy it

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Hold out for a Pani R ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cheap - buy it and you won't lose any money if it runs well

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Its a good price eh? Its ugly, but I would buy it at £2700 - if it checks out. You won't lose and you might make a few quid and have some fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. my-advice-life-is-short-buy-the-damn-motorcycle.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, 749 dark is different to normal 999/749 'ugly' - I'd buy it :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. I think all the 749/999 range are lovely, especially in yellow. I briefly owned a 749, one of the most engaging and enjoyable bikes I have ever ridden. Just a bit too uncomfortable for me so I sold it after about 3 months.
    Buy it, better to regret buying it than regret not buying it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I had a 749 nice road bike, stopped in the rain with the front stick coil? But easily sorted I’d imagine, certainly suit me better than the 1198 I can’t ride

10. the dark is the entry level and was a grand cheaper than the next , not ridden one but cant see it being to much different to the bp which is a cracking ride.. (when not playing up!!) had an s which was noticeably better but that don't make the base a bad bike at all..
    I think the dark looks mean... if ya can get it for 2700 and it has good history, snatch it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Opps sorry Chiz, I forgot that you are a big fan. I'd buy it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Where is the bike? It doesn't look like Liverpool..........

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. tbh when I first saw one, I had parked beside it and didn't know what it was...walking around it, I thought it the most amazing bike id ever seen.. till I got round the front!!!!!!!!!! hideous I thought... wasn't till 3 or 4 years ago I changed my mind... still a lil odd, the front, and deffo better in track clothes, but a great bit of kit.. pia to work on compared to the 916 shape though

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  14. No steering damper and compression & rebound split between the forks. If that matters to you.

15. Agree, looks very u.s. or antipodean

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Different from the usual "Selling on behalf of deceased owners son"

I do hope you haven't sent a deposit.

Rear number plate plate looks like it is of the embossed/stamped type.

17. You can have this one for 4 if interested Dremmel,
    It needs rear tyre, belts (3 years old) oil/filter and tps reset,
    dash is a bit funky (Led readout) which I'm looking
    into to get fixed. 003.JPG
    4 as is or what ever that costs me on top.
    And it's YELLOW!

18. why? Belts are easier on 999.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information