1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Hi Speed Weave

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by clarkey231, May 1, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I have noticed a high speeding lightness of the bars or easily induced weave at about 100mph.

It doesn't actually weave but the bars slightly waggle, if you no what I mean! Tyres brand new, no looseness that I can feel at the front wheel.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave.

2. I suspect your tyre has not correctly seated on the rim which is not uncommon. It doesn't take much to cause what you describe. Andy

3. And surely you mean 70mph [emoji6]

4. Couple of things. Depending on your weight, the rear preload needs to be uped a bit.

The handguards being flexible cause a lot of turbulence at "trackday" speeds.

The endure handguards are more rigid and air travels better over them has less of an issue.

If you do lots of trackdays or go to the continent, its worth considering.

5. Thanks for the replies.

I am a big lad at 6ft 3" and about 16.5 stone. I will try the rear pre load first and if that dosent cure it I will look at the tyre.

It is very vague, almost not there but definitely is if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.

6. Oh yes, all at 70 or a tad over!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I could feel the front on mine go light on the Italian motorways last summer.

I do wonder sometimes if the shape of the front fairing means the air can get under the front of the bike and lift it a little.

8. It was the compromise to make it more GS than ST. I can't help but feel the DVT is the Multi they wanted to make all along.

9. ok, have Sussed out how to change the rear pre-load so have gone from 8 to 16 in both touring and sport.

Let's see what happens!

Thanks for all the tips by the way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Try switching to the rider plus luggage option as well or rider plus passenger. That helps me a lot - I'm similar size and weight to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Solved....but cost a grand....
    I've played around with the multistrada suspension more than most.
    Ended up two springs ratings up at front and back, ohlins and mechatronic SCU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I have same sensation coming from sports bikes to Pikes Peak last year. The wide bars make the bike "feel" more sensitive and I've adjusted riding style by pushing bars less when countersteer/correcting at speed. If I think about it I notice the twitch.

No difference for me when changed tyres from scorpion to PP's. If anything the turn in was improved and seemed to compensate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ok, well I guess we will see. I to had a sports bike and although the bars would waggle on hard acceleration it was stable at speed.

Maybe little wings ala the Kawasaki HP2 thingy might help.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I could feel the front on mine go light on the Italian motorways last summer.

I do wonder sometimes if the shape of the front fairing means the air can get under the front of the bike and lift it a little.
    But that wont keep the front wheel on the ground if it is lifting, surely?

15. Have you lugguge fitted or top box ?
    This type of weave is an air flow induced thing like duke 63 says , loads of adventure bikes suffer with it , long travel forks big frontal area , the wind passing over the bike sets it off into that lazy disconcerting weave .
    In my opinion a steering damper won't fix it as it's not tank slapping its air flow .
    I had a vstrom years back and that used to do it ......£500 later with a Scott's steering damper it was excatly the same, taking the mirrors off made it much better and removing top box helped a lot ,but obviously that was not the best not being able to see behind yourself .
    More rear pre load helps like already said as if the back end sits low the forks rake become more 'chopper' like which makes for instability .
    If you think about sports bikes the frontal area is bullet shaped and 'nose down ' so the wind doesn't get underneath them as much

#17 mechcanico lee, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. yes all makes sense now but not having experienced it before I didn't know it even was a problem!

I will post back after trying the the upped pre load and also experimenting with the load settings whilst just me on it.

Thanks again.

17. Is this happening on the new 2015 model or the earlier version?
    I've had my multi for 5 years and do a lot of driving thorough Europe plus the odd track day but never had this problem, even at 160mph (clock speed). I have the preload turned right up and whilst touring i have a small tank bag and top box, no panniers but I do have the wife on the back (and in my headset when I go for it).
    I did take the bike to the garage to have the suspension set up for me when I do track days but now I have the semi active unit installed. that said, the semi active does not adjust preload which i think is the key to your problem. I'm only 11 stone is where I'm going, sorry, no offense meant.

hope you sort it. you could always try to power through and see what happens :)

18. Ha no worries, I am a big lad carrying a bit of lard but not too bad! It's not really a case of powering through because it's sort of the top end cruising speed if you know what it mean, I have been up well into three figures and it didn't improve.

It's on a 2014 model so not the new one.
    As its not bad I am hoping the pre load remedy sorts it.

Ta for the input though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information