1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hike Your Excess

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by comfysofa, Mar 8, 2019.

1. #1 comfysofa, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Seems much dearer than my overall policy £165 for £3000 Excess cover? I have 2 bikes on a policy for a little over £300 at a combined value of over £20K :thinkingface: am I missing something :bucktooth:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. No - but it may not be for everyone...depends where you are in the country i suppose and, if youve had any claims....ill certainly see where it comes in at when i have to renew...

4. Ah but......going off at a tangent, a word of warning, from experience. 2 bikes, at combined value of over 20k. Are these agreed values with the insurer? I know the standard question from the insurers always is 'what's the value' but that doesn't mean they'll pay that out in the horrible event you have to make a claim. Unless you have an agreed value with them, that they agree they will pay out in the event of a claim, and have that in writing, the bar-stewards will tell you your xx year old bike has depreciated from £££ to £ and that's all they're paying.

5. Most of my bikes are on agreed value - but to my detriment as they are going up in value. The two on this policy aren't, one being a 1098R Bayliss at £15,500 on the policy I don't think they can argue the value is less as the average asking price is more than £10K more than this :eyes:

6. Cool:upyeah:. Going back a bit now, I had an early Audi Quattro, it was 11 years old at the time when someone, not paying attention, rear ended me. Totally their fault, just drove into me doing about 30mph when I was stationary in a queue of traffic. My insurer deemed the car uneconomical to repair and wrote it off. In my youthful naivety, and having only having had the car for about 9 months, I assumed my insurer (Norwich Union) would pay out the value I had specified when asked that question when arranging the insurance, i.e. what I had paid for it. Ha, dream on. They offered me half of what it was going to cost to replace the car with an identical one, "age related depreciation blah blah blah. An 11 year old vehicle is only worth x% of its original value according to the motor trade pricing tables we use, blah blah blah". After much wrangling with them, sending them clippings/ads indicating the cost of a replacement vehicle and me returning at least 3 cheques they sent me, informing them I wasn't accepting their offer, I eventually got them to about 85% of it's replacement value (assuming I could find another one that is) and that was it. But that took weeks. They even had the cheek to withdraw the rental car they were paying for after the first month.

To add insult to injury the car could have been repaired but they wouldn't even let me purchase it from them.

Lesson learned the hard way.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information