1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Hm Quick Shift Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Hoggyjay, May 21, 2015.

1. Hi,
    Fitted the unit it to the bike but now it won't run. It was a second hand unti without instructions. Tried fitting the loom plug on each cylinder in case they are firing order sensitive. The QS is grounded directly to the batter. The bike tries to turn over and sounds as if it's only one cylinder that's firing. I do not have the sensor connected to the shift rod or rearset.

All was good before it was in stalled.

Can any one help

image.jpg

2. There are a lot of connectors that are disconnected in the picture ? - all should be connected or you will have an open circuit, essentially what the QS does when you press it. It will not start if the circuit is open. Likewise if you remove the QS and leave the loom in place the bike will not run without fitting a bridging plug to the end where you removed the QS from.

3. Hi,
    The picture was taken to show that I didn't have the unit installed. Everything was connected when I first tried to start the bike. From what you have said noting would happen if there was an open circuit. The bike was trying to start.

4. The bike would turn over but not start - if you say it's "trying to start" I doubt it's the QS as it is essentially a switch.
    Does it run if you completely disconnect the QS and put it back to normal ?

5. Yes it runs when returned to normal.

6. Weird, I'm sorry but that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject. Good luck.

7. Pretty sure it should be as simple as you say, ground to the battery then each pair of connectors goes online with coil lines I'll check when I get home... I've just removed mine from my 848 as I'm stripping bits before I sell her... Make me a decent off and you can have mine; about 3-4 months old and works a treat...

8. I'll also fix my post when I get to a laptop!! Reserved html characters???!!! Meh!!!

9. Got it running! Can you believe the front cylinder seal was allowing the OEM harness to connect but not the HM!!! I tried one cylinder connected at the a time. Found the front to be the problem. Removed the seal and bang jumped into life. Move the seal into the HM part of the assembly and bingo were up and running!!! Just need to connect the rod and road test. Happy days!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Back to the drawing board. The bike runs and rides but the QS is not working. I have ordered a shorter shift rod as the supplied one is full wound in (reduced to its shortest length) and shifting does feel tighter than before. The Led on the unit should only flash (engine off, ignition on at this point following user guide) when a shift is initiated, my one does not. It flashes very quickly about 8-10 times when the key is turned. I have tried to place it into setup mode but all I can get is the multiple flashes when the ignition is turned on. This is not covered in the user guide.

Can anyone help?
    I emailed HM when I was having problems with the fitting and they still haven't got back to me. I will try again with this problem but am not holding my breath!!!

11. Phone them, they are very helpful. Even the lady who picks up the calls is very knowledgeable.
    When I had issues like yours (not the flashing bit), I found if I upped the sensitivity it worked.

12. Cheers I'll get on the blower tomorrow.

13. If you're struggling to get into setup mode try this:
    - hold quick shifter button
    - Turn ignition on
    - Start bike
    - Release qs button
    I had a problem getting into setup mode with just ignition on but the above worked for me

14. Turned out the sensor was under load as I stared the bike (quick call to HM, great customer service on the phone, don't bother with an email). Loosened up the rod ends and boom, sorted!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I know this is an old thread but I'm having very similar issues with the lever sensor kit I have. Did you ever experience backfiring once running or didnt it get that far?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information