1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holidaying In The U.k.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by noobie, May 12, 2019.

1. I'm hoping we can avoid brexit in this one :D

This year it seems from the airlines could see quite a change from people going over seas for their various breaks. Previous years, particularly in the school holidays have seen fantastic weather and many more stay in the U.K. for a break also.

If you are one of those or just have always done U.K. breaks, where are some of your favourite breaks in the U.K. ? It doesn't have to be just with the kids or school holidays but can include mates on a bike, you and your partner and if it is an area, any high points/places to visit in that area.

2. I regularly fly to the UK for a holiday. Usually to the same seaside town.

3. They've changed the flight paths near gatwick in recent times and now the planes fly over the garden on the rotation game,so not a fan of airlines:mad: but on a lighter note i've always driven to europe over the years with the odd flight here and there.
    Very much like cornwall/devon locations,when the suns out:upyeah:

4. I have holidayed in York every weekend all my life :) probably doing the lakes this year with Mrs Ex and Mini Ex, did ScotchFinLand last year which was cool :cool::upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. As a kid we did the occasional weekend in Clacton, a bank holiday Monday to see the bikes at Southend but the main family holidays were almost always in Devon. Loved Combe Martin, ilfracombe and Woolacombe.

As an adult and on my own for peace and quiet, I tend to go to the Norfolk coast around Cromer or Wells next the sea. rent a small cottage and it's incredibly peaceful.

6. Love Cornwall but out of season - traffic can be a nightmare

Mid wales is lovely, cheap & still fairly quiet

I didn’t enjoy Scotland but maybe wrong area

France is better

7. Get yourself to Barmouth, it’s beautiful you can’t go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. As a Kid had Camping Hols around the Uk. Best were those in Cornwall.
    Nowadays I love northern France. Found a very cheap place on the coast between Calais and Boulogne. Love it especially drinking beer and wine and eating seafood
    i live near the coast in Bridlington. They land tons of Seafood yet it nearly all goes abroad
    The Restaurants all cater for Wessy's and comforts who just want roast beef dinners or indains and chinese

9. You just reminded me higgy. My grandparents lived in Hull and every now and again we visited them who they then took us over to various caravan parks along Bridlington, Scarborough and Hornsea. I got fed up with those squirrels climbing up a effin tree trunk pottery. Lovely locations though as a kid

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. I love Scarborough its on a par with any seaside resort in the UK
    Was the very first destination of my Holday on a motorbike. Went for the Olivers mount racing Ago Sheene Read
    the town was packed out
    When iget a Saturday off often ride up for a Cappuccino on the sea front watching the world go by its a 30-40 minute ride depending onthe time of year

• Like Like x 1
  11. Went Blackpool as a kid - Shite hole now was loads to do and lots of shows on when I was kid, now just a piss up venue

12. Scotland, especially on the day that the sun comes out. Heading up there last two weeks of June staying at a cottage on River Tay about 3 miles downstream from Aberfeldy. Stunning area and loads of great roads if you're on the bike which sadly I won't be.
    Devon and Cornwall are great as well with the best chance of decent weather. If you're up for going a bit further afield then why not try Ireland? went out to west coast about 7 years ago staying just outside Louisburg. Brilliant quiet roads with friendly people but can be a bit windy, still well worth the effort though.

13. Tenby is nice

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Saundersfoot next to Tenby is better much quieter if thats what you want. Great Australian restaurant serving Kangaroo, gorgeous.

15. Cornwall every year for the past 29. Now we go in the closed season and it is great!

• Like Like x 1
  16. West Wales,Cardiganshire went for several years renting a cottage.people very friendly and the scenery great.

17. My advice is to go to florida and pretend your still in uk :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. keen to go to pembrokeshire with the little rascals during july but getting a decent cottage seems to costs as much as a flight to europe!

19. In no particular order:

Cornwall just after the kids' Easter holidays finish, or in September when they've gone back to school. That's from a having-previously-lived-there-a-long-time perspective. Stay in Crantock or Cubert (next to Newquay), or Praa Sands (next to Penzance) for a relaxing time. Visit (only visit) Newquay if you haven't (but realise it's a crap place to live unless you're a surfer or are independently wealthy), St Ives, Penzance, the Eden Project, Padstow (PadStein), Looe, Polperro, Bodmin Moor (with its highest peak "Brown Willy"). If you like Poldark, visit Holywell Bay and Carlyon Bay. If you like Martin Clunes and sea shanties, visit Port Isaac.

Scotland or Wales on the bike any time it's a) off-peak and b) the weather will be OK, simultaneously. Next best thing to Spanish roads available in the UK.

Whitby/North Yorkshire Moors.

Gibraltar (it's still UK) for a weekend and buy lots of duty-free (especially if you like Cuban cigars).

Jersey/Guernsey.

• Like Like x 1
  20. It's easy to overlook Scotland, but it doesn't rain all the time and it has some world class roads, particularly Durness to Ullapool and Perth to Braemare. Also, Its a lot more spaced out than Wales ( I cant get that anti biking Ayotollah Chief Constable out of my mind when visiting Wales).

Otherwise, I like my continental trips. On my way down to Turin as I write on me Multi. :):upyeah:

TB

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information