1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade Headstock Stand.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Birdie, Jul 3, 2020.

1. After seeing @bettes self made headstock stand I thought I would have a go and give a little detail into my attempt, before we start I am a retired joiner NOT a fabricator or welder.
    First was to see what I had laying around, found a few bits but had to buy two pieces of box section for the uprights. I used 35x3mm box for the inner tube and 40x2mm for the outer tube which gave a half mm all round clearance to slide.
    IMG_20200622_145550.jpg
    First job was to weld the nut from the 20mm threaded bar into the 35x3mm inner box tube. I drilled holes through the top to give a larger weld area.
    IMG_20200622_153811.jpg
    IMG_20200622_155605.jpg
    IMG_20200622_160534.jpg
    Next I welded an old socket to the top of the threaded bar made two steel washers (which had to fit inside to outer tube) with a plastic washer made from a milk bottle in between well greased to reduce friction!
    IMG_20200623_094658.jpg
    To stop the shoulder nut from moving I drilled and fitted a split pin rather than weld just in case I needed to remove it at a later date.
    IMG_20200623_095853.jpg
    Threaded bar now fitted into the inner box section.
    IMG_20200623_100200.jpg
    Next was to make and weld the top onto the outer box section with a hole the right size for the socket to fit through.
    IMG_20200623_103952.jpg
    Inner tube fitted through the outer tube.
    IMG_20200623_105251.jpg
    Now the top of the outer tube to fit under the headstock with a bit of bracing.
    IMG_20200624_114131.jpg
    After a bit of measuring to get the correct height I welded the inner box to the base, the outer box just slides over the inner box and is raised by turning the socket.
    IMG_20200624_120623.jpg
    First try there was a bit of flex in the tube I used for the base so I am going to weld a small 100mm outrigger to the inside of the base of the square box , hopefully this will eliminate the twist, at worst I will get some larger section and replace the base altogether.
    A bit of paint to prevent rust and it'll do.
    Steve

PS don't forget to fix the earth clamp to your work piece before tig welding, you live and learn.

• Like Like x 20
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Very impressive Steve :upyeah:, nice one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nice work Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Nice work there @Birdie with the layout,:upyeah:but that welding is dog rough:eek: in my book as i spent over a year blacksmithing / metal fabrications works etc.

5. We all have to start somewhere and practice makes perfect, as I said at the beginning I am an x joiner not a welder.
    I can make a mean set of stairs though, made and fitted on my own.
    Stoke Hall Stairs 001.jpg DSC_0084.JPG DSC_0086.JPG DSC_0085.JPG

#5 Birdie, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 25
  6. Great job !
    Well planned and executed , then modified as needed .... I like that
    I would ignore any comments on the appearance of the welds .
    Functional is what is needed ..... save the "pretty" for people who are paying you to weld .... :)

BTW - I rate myself as crap at welding .... there's some of my mig attempts on the "Home-made Ducati Tools " thread
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  7. For his wood?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Excellent work, Steve. Hats off to you for having a go.
    Just been round to pick mine up from the powder coaters in Halifax. They’ve done a decent job but cost £30. Anyway, well done! :upyeah:
    81FE2996-757E-4FA7-AB36-37170F69224F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  9. You have better materials in your garage then what we have at work! :)
    I got stuck with 40x40 hollow section for the base and upright. I couldn’t find anything else smaller for the inner tube so had to use 30x 30 angle welded together and spaced for a tightish fit.
    Done exactly the same for the threaded bar as you and welded a nut underneath and the square drive socket on the top.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You may not be a welder/ sheet metal worker but going by the penetration around the welds shows you know what you’re doing!
    Now chill out, lift the bike up, take some photos and have a beer! :upyeah:
    While building your arm muscles up. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Brilliant!!:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. @Birdie , can we place orders Steve lol, need one for the streetfighter!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 07.35.34.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. These are crap if you have a 748/916 or even an MV 675 unless you take the headlight fairing off, they put a lot of weight on the front fairing and when you get it up you cant get the front axle out. That's my experience anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Agree with Steve. I had the exact same stand and even by raising the pin with spacers underneath I couldn’t stop it fowling the top fairing. In the end I chopped it down and used one of the arms for the new stand.

A02BD94B-8ED7-47A6-AA8E-C94730B62CEE.jpeg

16. i would of been tempted to buy one and modify that .... guess ill have to stick with my pierobon one..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information