1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Pressure Washer

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Robarano, Aug 7, 2016.

1. I'm going to pull the plug on buying a hot pressure washer soon.

I'll more than likely be -
    • A Karcher
    • 240v - Diesel burner type
    • 2nd hand lightly used or refurbished. Not something that's lived it's life in a scrap man's yard.
    • A recent(ish) model.
    Does anybody have experience of them? Are there any issues or is there anything else I should be considering?

2. Is that to burn the yellow off ;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I used to have one when I had a couple of lorries, they are a bit aggressive for everyday use but great for removing heave grease and oil, has taken paint of my lorry chassis as well.
    Steve

4. It was a long time ago when I had mine, I presume a modern one will have temperature control which will make it more user friendly.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Top tip and as someone married to a person who found out first hand...do not use them on your motorbike. Cost him several hundred pounds to put right. Karcher are very good.

6. Yeah, hence temperature control as said by @Birdie above would be good. I remember a friend of mine had one that took the paint off his car door mirror once like the skin from a rice pudding. :Banghead:

For washing metal parts it could be used hot to get through grease and oil. :Woot:

For washing bikes and cars just set to a tepid temperature for a better result than using a cold washer. A bit like a washing machine 40° wash. :)

7. I wouldn't like to chance it incase the temp control got stuck

In the old days they were great for taking off bumper paint :Smuggrin:

Just chuck your oily bits in the dishwasher :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Anyway you can put warm water in your bucket and use your bloody hands!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Ohh a subject that I really know well, how much do you want to spend?
    Is it something that you want to own for 10 years plus?
    I have run several Karcher HDS machines for over 20 years now and there is not much I don't know.
    Give me some more info and I can guide you of what is good for your requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You could walk on your tip toes and you wouldn't need high heels, using that logic. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheers Peter.

Up to £1k, hence looking at 2nd hand. I'm not looking at anything below £700 as I think it may be hard used. Unless you know otherwise.

Something that's been taken care of or refurbished.

Yes, it's a long term purchase, I'll not be looking to change it.

12. Single phase?
    How hot do you need it?
    High pressure chemical injection?
    Lots at that price.

13. eh, what, errrrr...........I just want a hot pressure washer, that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. You really need this...

image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. You need these
    image.jpeg

16. Well, the sponge is the correct colour, at least. :Happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ok so my best advice is a Karcher HDS model. 1500 psi should see you right, any higher and you are going to need a 16-20 amp supply which is a pain. Look for one that has had a service recently as there are a lot of serviceable parts that need changing, like fuel filter, burner electrodes, fuel nozzle and so on and these are quite expensive to buy. A typical service on a machine which requires these will cost around £300 plus.
    Original Karcher hoses are a must as cheap Chinese copies can rupture and leave you with a nasty burn, and I have witnessed this happening!!!
    Check also that the unit does not smoke a lot as this could be a sign that the fuel pump or regulator is shot , again a lot to replace.
    Check that the pump runs under full pressure and is not grumbling as this is a sign that the pump bearings are shot, again lots££
    If the pump is not delivering full pressure then it's going to need a pump overhaul with new valves, again lots£££
    Recon machines from reputable Karcher dealers are worth buying as people part exchange for new machines, and they usally have been fully serviced so command higher prices but worth it in the long run unless you are a skilled engineer, re-build manuals are nigh on impossible to obtain unless you are a Karcher dealer.
    I ran 6 machines for 18 years and know how to repair and service them now, and my current machine is 20 years old and works perfectly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Also if you want to run it in Steam mode only then you are going to need a different steam nozzle, not something I would recommend on a bike as it WILL MELT WIRING and plastics!!!!!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Thanks Peter. I appreciate that. :upyeah:

20. Please be careful :Bag:

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information