1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Hot Starting Problems

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Len, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Hi Guys, Anyone had problems with 1098 hot starting? After a couple of local journeys and stops, the engine cranks but won't fire . I guess the fact that the engine cranks suggests that the battery voltage is high enough to activate the engine management system which, I guess, shuts down at below 8v or so?
    Possibly hot fuel handling or fuel vapourisation?
    Any thoughts welcomed!
    Cheers,
    Len

2. Not personally but I seem to remember one of the mechanics at Ducati Glasgow, way way back 2008 or thereabouts stated he had some issues

I think that was to do with something overheating and he had to just wait until the bike cooled and it was fine, I know that's about as much use as tits on a bull, but if anything triggers the ole grey cells and I remember what it was I'll post up.

Assume the bike has had the reg/rec heat shield mod

Agree if the battery has the power to crank it the engine management will defo be operative at least initially, any error codes?

#2 Old Jock, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. Are you opening the throttle a bit? Bit like 848 was, fine line between starting and flooding....little open as you press button can get it going IME.

Not sure if upgrading battery leads can help.

4. I have a similar problem sometimes on my 1198S (not often, but usually when I've just filled up with fuel and I get this "will she or won't she" moment...). I fitted some of Exige's leads which definitely improved cold starting but I still get the hot start issue from time to time.

What is this "reg/rec heat shield mod"? Did it apply to the 1198?

5. I think it was changed for the 1198 launch 2009 MY onward looking at the part files...

6. Sprag alert. My 1198 was a bugger to start when hot when my sprag started to go. Fine when cold.

7. Just had the sprag replaced (ouch!), hot starting is better now, but still not as good as from cold. As bradders said, just a tiny crack of the throttle can help, but easy to flood it.

8. I had a 1098R in to me with this problem. It was driving the owner daft and he had been to the dealer several times with it. He would wheel it out of the garage and fire it up and run it for a few minutes then go and get his bike gear on. He'd then come back and it wouldn't start. I witnessed it myself one morning when it started from cold no problem, then 2 miles on he stopped to fill up and then no way would it start. After leaving it for 20 minutes or so it reluctantly fired up.
    By my reckoning it was a fuelling problem with the mixture incorrect for a (part) hot start.
    So when he brought the bike to me the first thing was to do a TPS reset. I then checked the positions of both air bleeds so that I could reset them back if I needed to. After that I adjusted the fuel trim for the fastest idle, backed it a tiny bit richer and finally adjusted the airbleeds to get the idle speed back to around 1400, the R models are meant be set to 1500 but I feel it's a bit high.
    Since then the bike has started perfectly hot or cold and the owner is dead chuffed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks guys - some interesting experiences here, all of which make sense, although I'm not sure why the sprag should affect it - you mean the sprag clutch? (sorry if i'm being a numpty!).
    This problem is actually on my neighbour's bike, to whom I have sent the link so hopefully he will register.
    My Monster 796 doesn't suffer from such problems - just sayin' !!
    Cheers all.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information