1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Weather Tour Experiences Welcomed

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by johnny, Jun 17, 2022.

1. I am a few months away from an Iberian tour which is taking place at the height of summer.

I just wanted some experienced comments about distances. The routes are not super twisty, but they are not Motorway. I have one day that is close to 6 hours riding on the planner and I think this may be too much. Typically when in Northern Europe I find 4.5 hours about enough .

2. I find if the planner says 6 hours it takes me 7-8 as we stop for fuel every 170miles, which then leads to a quick coffee etc so that’s 20mins per stop at leat plus lunch etc. On twisties we are lucky to cover 175 miles a day. We avoid all main roads, far less plod .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I've done quite a bit of touring Spain & Italy in the hotter months. 6 hour (riding) days are doable, but bloody uncomfortable. And then, if you get in any sort of hold-up (eg. an accident), you'll arrive late at your next stopover, totally cooked................ and then you'll need a hand to get your sweat soaked kit off. Ask me how I know :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Distance is purely subjective.
    edit:(but I will say 200-500 miles normally per day..too much for many)
    Road type, rider, motorcyle, speed, etc.your gear plays a part too, cotton Tshirts are a no...

For me, anything at 28 and above you just slowly start to cook regardless. Close to 40 and above it gets dangerous fast.
    Cold drinks, breaks, Ice creams etc :upyeah:
    If you plan the routes properly and save them to navs, you take some pain out and it saves a lot of time on route.
    Avoid going in to towns, even little back roads that cut them off will be better than sitting in any traffic or being stopped at traffic lights, unless they are planned stops.
    Google maps really is your friend for this kind of planning.
    Work stops out to coincide with petrol and or cafe on the map.

Where you stop..
    This may sound obvious, but you would be surprised how many do not think about where they stop or park. Even if just checking map/nav/gear,..... pick a place in the shade!

We usually do too many miles/kilometers, typically 8-10 hour days.
    Spain booked in for 1st week September and looking to reel it in to 7-8 hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Vented textiles only! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. There is another conversation about underwear to be had, base layer type stuff..you dirty minded folk!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Few thoughts...
    1. Get a cool cover mesh thing for your seat. You will have a less sweaty and more comfortable bum. The cheap Chinese ones are no different to the expensive ones IME it's just 3D mesh.
    2. Further to the cool cover, don't discount using a chamois cream if you're prone to chafing.
    3. Get really vented textiles for travelling in - I've used Dainese Explorer and Explorer 2 and they have proper hot climate venting. 500 mile days in 35+ celsius are not horrible.
    4. Get pants and socks made from a technical material - they wash / dry faster and wick sweat better than cotton.
    5. Flip top helmet is a godsend if you've got to show your passport at border controls etc - I've had good experiences with an AGV Sportmodular but I'm conscious that helmets (like tyres and oil) can spark a massive debate... the flippy bit is handy and so's a drop-down sunvisor (and a wet microfibre cloth in a ziplock bag for debugging).
    6. Spanish fuzz can be a bit particular about things like spotlights during the day, I got a proper shouting at from them for having my spotlights on for visibility.
    7. You may think "ooh oranges!" and stop by a tree... I've yet to nick one that turns out to be edible, not worth the faff. (same with olives).
    Roads in Spain and Portugal are fantastico, you'll have a mega trip!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. This is very good advice... bike seats get rather hot... :eek:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Gel seats are a no no. They heat up and hold it. Maybe some don’t just haven’t found one.
    Water,water. I got stuck on a motorway in direct sun, learnt the hard way. I carry 2 litres when touring and fill up whenever possible. Ali flask with a cold drink on the bike frame. Cheap and cheerful made for cyclists but work and stop messing about in hold ups.
    I always make sure I have fuel before entering cities or large built up areas. Traffic hold ups burn fuel and less likely to have convenient garages.
    If you’re going to stop carry a light baseball cap or any cover. No bare heads.
    Never take gloves off and ride. Have a pair of ventilated, sun burn on the back of hands will really screw up your tour!
    Plaster your face in high factor sun block. Protect your eyes.
    Other than that, enjoy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Oh and if you start picking fruit in Provence the big guy with the big dog is not a nice chap. It’s his wages. Only did it once:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Get one of these. I'm moving to southern Spain in November and going to get one nearer the time.

12. BTW...... Matt black helmets are not a good idea :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cool Gloves
    Here's a way to reduce sweating and keep your hands cool in the summer heat without sacrificing safety.

Take a pair of your favorite gloves and use a pair of scissors to take a small nip out of the base of each finger (not in a seam) where the fingers come together. Then as you ride you can spread your fingers slightly and let in lots of cool air. Close your fingers for cooler weather rides.

Cool Gloves.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Black Ice of Summer

With the hot weather upon us here’s a reminder.

Be extra careful at stoplights and at intersection turn lanes where overheated cars often dump their coolant. This stuff is as slippery as ice, and under normal braking or lean angles, it can knock you down before you know what happened.

15. Hi Folks, thanks for the pointers. I am continuing to tinker with my routes. I have now added some of the Picos!

16. Heading to Picos later in year.
    My understanding is that North side is wetter, therefore we have accommodation South side!
    This fits with my previous visit in the car a few years ago.
    Not called Costa Verde for nothing...

17. Ive used a Leatt CoolIT vest with success over the years. Uncomfortable to put on wet at first but once your moving its bliss. I even used it on final day track day at Almeria. Keeps your core core and reduces fatigue etc. Mates laugh, but they stop when they see Im comfortable and they aint.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yep and in the hills you find damp patches on days you wouldn't expect it, usually under trees half way round a hairpin going uphill...

19. You won't want to leave the Picos !! Stunning and vibrant :upyeah:

20. Don't book hotels in advance as you'll always be chasing them. Ride until you have had enough and then look up the nearest ones on Google or booking.com. You'll also get better prices when you turn up and book the room direct.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information