1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Cold Would You Go?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Hey

Mulling over a last minute UK TD next week, as long as it's dry.

How cold a track is too cold though for tyres to get up to a decent grippy temperature, i'd be on normal road Pirelli Rosso II.

Cheers

CR

2. Personally, 12C is about my lowest limit for pushing on. That is self imposed after a front wheel lock up on a cold tyre at 11C...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brand Indy a week Thursday is £79 :)

4. Tempting at that price, but they are not a very Panigale friendly track!

5. I've been round Snetterton at 2deg, (they stopped it when it started to snow late on in the afternoon:grinning: ) As long as you give your tyres decent warm up time and drop the pressures at least 25% you will be fine

6. Why drop pressure 25%? I thought the cold pressure was dropped because the pressure increased when they got hot? If it is colder, will they heat up the same?

7. Lower pressure=more movement=more heat :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. You're both right! Depends how much you can get it to move though.... you're not likely to work the tyre more in very cold/wet conditions. Racing, I'd always up my cold pressure for wet races because I wouldn't be working the tyre so much. The end result is the right hot pressure, and it depends on the rider how they get there...

• Like Like x 1
  9. On Pirelli Rosso pressures I would lower both in the cold and wet you need the tyre to move around more to generate more heat , wet tyres that's a different case as all manufacturers have specific pressures for their wets depending on compound.

10. Having done days with mid single figures, take thermals and just ride as if a cold road riding day, and proactive your hanging off the bike ;) lol

I always ran lower pressures too, idea being it brings the pressure up quicker. Bit speak to two tyre experts and they will often give different opinions, like they do in the wet, re high or low pressures for cold

11. Brands indy?! Probably ok this end of the year, even if a bit damp and cold, but avoid Feb and March as everyone is testing and dropping oil everywhere from newly built bikes!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lower pressure may bring up the tyre carcass/tread temperature quicker, but not create enough heat to bring pressures up to what you want from the lower pressure you started from. Just my opinion, and really it is up to the individual and what feels best for them (I did win more than the odd wet race though... in fact, all but one which we won't mention!).

• Like Like x 1
  13. You won wet races on Pirelli rossos ? Your good Just teasing but of course your right it's a personal choice . But I'm right :tonguewink:

14. I did Oulton a few years ago in Feb... There was ice on the car when I got up that morning. Turned out to be a great if not cold day.

15. I've done track days in monsoon weather and 0degrees

Just wait for your tyres to warm properly and you'll be fine

#thermals

16. we were all on them...horrid in the wet!

• Like Like x 1
  17. oh and latex gloves under your gloves, holds heat a treat and no impact on feel :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. @Cream_Revenge

I'm tempted to do this TD too - never done Brands. When were you thinking of booking it?

19. Evening, won't be till early next week as I want to watch the weather, I don't do rain. I would also need the stars to align slightly and shouldn't really but it's a long winter........

Space in both the inter and novice group so I'm guessing/hoping it won't fill up.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information