1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Comfortable?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Paulel, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Hi guys, I came to this forum a couple of years ago because I was thinking about buying a Hypermotard. I ended up buying BMW R9T (don’t ask) but now I’m finally ready to seriously look at the 950 Hyper. I really love this bike but I’m concerned that the seat is far too skinny to be comfortable. Unfortunately my three nearest Ducati dealers don’t any in stock so I can’t even go and sit on one without making a 200 mile round trip. Of course I will make that trip to test ride one if I get positive feedback about the seat. I have seen a couple of posts about the racing seat being better!

2. Hi Paul.

I did exactly the same. I had the Urban Gs. I bought it to commute to work and found it was a great hooligan bike - loved it - used it every day for commuting but then some thieving toe rag deprived me of it. I seriously considered getting the same but decided to get the 950 and .. its actually a much better bike straight out of the box (i spend £1000's on the BMW getting the suspension right). I don't find the standard seat that bad at all. I've had the hyper since June and I recommend the change unhesitatingly!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hi dukesox, thanks for your input. I actually moved just after I joined the forum and because I bought the bmw I haven’t been on here since. I am now living in Woodbridge, Suffolk, I will update my profile as soon as I’ve finished this reply. The one in Cambridge is a 940 and if I wasn’t so focused on the 950, I’d go for. In fact I am tempted and will look into it. I am looking in Autotrader 2 or 3 times a day. I have yet to sell my bmw so when that goes I will do some serious looking, and travelling.

4. They are probably quite similar on comfort. I imagine dealers will be desperate for sales under current circumstances so hopefully they will be accommodating for test rides. Good luck with the sale & purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I’m not sure if it’s me or what, but I can’t change my profile info!

6. I’ve had my 950 for six weeks and the longest time I’ve spent in the default saddle is about 90 min. At that point I was starting to shuffle about a bit due to my backside starting to complain. To be honest my Multistrada was no different and my strategy for that bike was a 10min stop to recover every 2hrs. However I’d also be interested in others feedback on the alternatives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’m wondering if I bought this bike and wanted to do a longer journey, what about an Airhawk seat!

8. As a side note I changed the std seat to the sports seat on my Pani 899 and that is definitely more comfortable. The sports seat seemed to have about 10mm more padding at the front end from memory.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The stock seat on the 950 is one of the improvements Ducati made to the bike as far as I am concerned. It's wider and flatter then the previous gen Hyper. It's firm but I like it and have done some long days on it. Also, the hyper being almost motocross like from a seating position standpoint, allows you to stand up quite easily when your bum gets sore, haha. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I obviously have got to get on a bike and ride it myself. From what I’ve read, the new 950 has a narrower seat. I do know, from years of riding motorcycles, seats are very subjective so I think I’ve posted a very stupid question! It’s good to talk about my future bike though.

11. That will teach you to move without getting clearance from the mods on here first.

• Like Like x 1
  12. It "might" be narrower up front (though I don't think so) but it is definitely flatter and wider towards the rear of the seating area. I also cut the strap off my seat to allow moving around and finding a comfortble spot when riding.

13. I know, what can I say!!,

14. Ok, that’s interesting. I heard a YouTube reviewer saying the strap got in the way. I thought to myself when I watched that that the strap would be the first thing to go, shortly followed by the rear foot pegs

#15 Paulel, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  15. Yep, I cut that strap off immediately upon getting the bike home. Allows much more freedom of movement on the seat!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information